How to cool 4 drives

Angelo_20

Prominent
Mar 11, 2017
I have 4 Hard drive in my computer and I'm worried that the HDD will overheat because they're close to each other...

What can I do avoid them heating up

(I'm using an old generic case and 1 40mm system fan)

Solution
HDDs need cooling, but not much. Most cases position the drive right next to the air intake (whether it has a fan or not), which provides enough airflow to cool them. As long as there's an intake vent and small gap between the drives, and you haven't installed other intake fans in a different area which causes air to stop flowing in over the drives, you should be fine.

If you want, you can use a hardware monitoring program like HWiNFO to check the HDD temps with your current setup, before deciding if you need to make further changes. About 35-45 C is optimal, with failure rates increasing for higher and lower temperatures.
HDDs need cooling, but not much. Most cases position the drive right next to the air intake (whether it has a fan or not), which provides enough airflow to cool them. As long as there's an intake vent and small gap between the drives, and you haven't installed other intake fans in a different area which causes air to stop flowing in over the drives, you should be fine.

If you want, you can use a hardware monitoring program like HWiNFO to check the HDD temps with your current setup, before deciding if you need to make further changes. About 35-45 C is optimal, with failure rates increasing for higher and lower temperatures.

Solution