How to cool my computer better?

Sep 12, 2018
So, I am still very new to building computers and don't know much about them, but I was wondering what is the best way to keep the computer cool? I notice when I see people build computers, they always say that it feels like air conditioning. I guess I am wondering on how I can get my computer to be like that.

Here are my computer parts:
-Corsair Hydro Series H115i Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler , Black
-Intel Core i7-7700K Desktop Processor 4 Cores up to 4.5 GHz unlocked LGA 1151 100/200 Series 91W
-EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2, 80+ GOLD 750W, Fully Modular, EVGA ECO
-ASUS MAXIMUS IX FORMULA LGA1151 DDR4 DP HDMI M.2 Z270 ATX Motherboard
- Corsair Obsidian Series 750D Airflow Edition, Full Tower ATX Case
-2x 1tb Samsung SSD
-Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz
-ASUS ROG GTX 1080ti 11gb graphic card

Solution
Keeping a computer cool is about airflow into the case, proper cooling, and exhaust. With an all-in-one CPU cooler you have some choices to make.

You can run the radiator as intake (coolest for the CPU) but then that heat is exhausted into the case for your air cooled GPU to pick up.

Typical setup you see these days is to have the CPU radiator as top mounted exhaust. A single 120mm/140mm fan at the rear for exhaust. And 2-3 120mm/140mm filtered fans at the front for intake.

As for like air conditioning, no, computers generate heat and exchange it with the air of the room they are in. Air conditioners remove heat from interior air and exchange it with exterior air.

Water cooling, piezo electric cooling, or chilled computers still...
I don't know about a cooler or case that keeps PC cool like AC unless you have room AC where the PC is located.
I would suggest you select a CPU (i7-8700k) that will generate less heat and perform better and it that case you will have to switch motherboard (LGA 1151 300 series).
I think that case has very good air flow and the water cooler can keep up with the heat from the CPU.
Just make sure you are fully aware of the size of a full tower case.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

What? i7-7700k run hot for their frequency, but certainly an 8700k will consume more power with its two extra cores.

The processor selection is a bit better from a value standpoint (though more expensive), but will require a Z370 motherboard.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
I notice when I see people build computers, they always say that it feels like air conditioning
I don't think I've ever seen someone say that, but if they did they are probably exaggerating or lying. Unless they are using a chiller cooler (basically a refrigerator unit, like Tom's uses in some of their reviews, very uncommon), the exhaust from your PC is always going to be warmer than your room.

What are your max temperatures for CPU/GPU? If they're not overheating, I don't really seen any issue here. If you're worried about how much your PC is heating up your room, your choice of cooling doesn't affect that (everything else being equal).

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Keeping a computer cool is about airflow into the case, proper cooling, and exhaust. With an all-in-one CPU cooler you have some choices to make.

You can run the radiator as intake (coolest for the CPU) but then that heat is exhausted into the case for your air cooled GPU to pick up.

Typical setup you see these days is to have the CPU radiator as top mounted exhaust. A single 120mm/140mm fan at the rear for exhaust. And 2-3 120mm/140mm filtered fans at the front for intake.

As for like air conditioning, no, computers generate heat and exchange it with the air of the room they are in. Air conditioners remove heat from interior air and exchange it with exterior air.

Water cooling, piezo electric cooling, or chilled computers still exchange heat with the ambient air. (You can get fancy and have radiators mounted outside the room, but that is a whole other matter)

I would say for your setup, mount the CPU cooler in the top and you are good to go.

Solution

The Core i7-8700K has a TDP of 95W, compared to the i7-7700k TDP of 91W, which is almost nothing.
Even with the extra cores, the Core i7-8700K consumes equal or less power than the i7-7700k at full load, since has better efficiency.
Price was not mentioned.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

Thank you, the architecture didn't change that much and the process optimizations can't account for two whole cores.

Overclock i7-8700k from Tom's was pulling just under 170W at 4.9Ghz.
At 5Ghz the i7-7700k uses about 101W , but I think they had a golden sample there.

This looks more promising, showing a more realistic difference using the same testing methodology:
https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Processors/Coffee-Lake-Story-Intel-Core-i7-8700K-and-Core-i5-8400-Review/Quick-Gaming-Power-

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

KWh is not exactly what I would call accurate for immediate power consumption measurement, we would need to know the sampling rate and any integrations it is running to average the data. In your comparison you could have had a very bad Kabylake sample and a very good Coffeelake sample.

I've looked at a lot of Kabylake and Coffeelake comparisons. The methodologies are all over the place, but it was quite consistent that the two extra cores accounted for anywhere from 20-50% power increase depending on the specific CPU and voltages. TDP is stock performance, soon as you hit up MCE or lock all cores that TDP is out the window.

Mine I think pulls near 150W, been a while since I have checked, but I am running an outrageous 1.416 volts (I seem to lose the silicon lottery on a regular basis)

I understand, it might not be accurate when it comes to just measuring the CPU power usage, but the CPU does not work by itself.
Since I am billed in kwh, I thought measuring the whole system at the outlet, would represent better the power consumption.