[SOLVED] How to cool system after shutdown ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2023
Yes, Google will give you a million results for people who have a problem with shutdown. But, try to find one result if this is something you desire. Although people living a couple thousand miles in each direction of the equator are poor, many have computers where ambient temperatures are rarely under 25C. Here it's often over 40C and most do not have air conditioning. I want to keep my cooling system running until everything is at least at ambient temperature. Even a secondary computer system or a shutdown to bios until ambient is reached before shutting down the cooling. My Ryzen 9 got upset this summer so I had to take the sides off the midtower until I get a bigger cabinet and better cooling. Let it rip guys and gals, all in good fun.

Solution
The basic answer is no. No common computer power supply system has any way to continue to supply power to anything significant after shut-down. They are designed these days to feed 5 VDC power at VERY low amperage rates to a few specific circuits on the mobo that monitor for key presses or mouse movements, but none feed 12 VDC to any fan headers or other devices.

To do what you want, YOU would have to create a 12 VDC power supply able to provide a current of at least 0.2 A per fan (assuming a common computer case fan), and a way to control when it runs. It should NOT use the fans already in your case - you could not feed power to them from a second source when the mobo headers are feeding them.

Just thinking here. You might do this...
Mar 1, 2023
Yes, I understand "you" don't see a need for this, but that is not my question! I have a need for this which I purposely did not include all my reasons. I am not looking for opinions, I am asking a valid question in which I do not need to explain every problem regarding internal cabinet temperatures verses ambient!

USAFRet

Titan
Yes, I understand "you" don't see a need for this, but that is not my question! I have a need for this which I purposely did not include all my reasons. I am not looking for opinions, I am asking a valid question in which I do not need to explain every problem regarding internal cabinet temperatures verses ambient!
I stated "I don't see a need for this", because PCs and servers have been used in hot and humid climates forever.

Now...if you have some other reason that you do not with to disclose,...all we out here can work with is what you tell us.

Easy solution:
A fan, completely external to the PC. Turn the PC off, turn the fan on.

Fan either blowing through a side grill, or with the side panel off completely.

Mar 1, 2023
Yes I have worked in the largest server rooms in the world! They are in air conditioned rooms for a reason! Then each server has one or more cooling systems running at all times whether the server boards are powered or not. That is why I originally asked about a secondary computer or boot to bios.

Yes, my CPU goes well above ambient as soon as my cooling system goes off. The CPU often runs 60 to 90 degrees which after research appears to be common with this chip.

I simply did not want to rewrite history. No one needs to have every detail to answer the question. I want to run my coolant system after shutdown, that was my question! Obviously, these details have nothing to do with my question. Is there a way to do it or not? If there isn't any way to do it I will build a device to do it. I was hoping some company had already built a shutdown timer that I could simply install but really, this is child's play.

I have focused on the answers to questions on TH since 98 under many different emails and user names. Normally, the replies have been matter of fact and it's a great resource. I thought I could get out of the Google mentality by asking a simple question. Yes, there are others that have asked similar questions with the same kind of replies from closed minded individuals.

Last edited by a moderator:

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
The basic answer is no. No common computer power supply system has any way to continue to supply power to anything significant after shut-down. They are designed these days to feed 5 VDC power at VERY low amperage rates to a few specific circuits on the mobo that monitor for key presses or mouse movements, but none feed 12 VDC to any fan headers or other devices.

To do what you want, YOU would have to create a 12 VDC power supply able to provide a current of at least 0.2 A per fan (assuming a common computer case fan), and a way to control when it runs. It should NOT use the fans already in your case - you could not feed power to them from a second source when the mobo headers are feeding them.

Just thinking here. You might do this with a rechargeable battery of 12 VDC with a charging circuit that limits its draw to 0.2 to 0.5 A and fed from a Molex or SATA power output connector from the PSU. Then you need a circuit to keep those fans running for a short time (5 to 10 min?) powered by the battery, then shut down and stay down until the system is powered up again. IF you do NOT want them to run during normal operations (excess air and noise), then you need to design your extra fan circuit not to turn them ON until the mobo shuts down.

Solution

Lutfij

Titan
(While a system is operating) You can't cool anything, down, to ambient unless you use exotic forms of cooling like Peltier's.

I have worked in the largest server rooms in the world!
...by asking a simple question

You actually have your answer.

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
No one needs to have every detail to answer the question. I want to run my coolant system after shutdown, that was my question! Obviously, these details have nothing to do with my question. Is there a way to do it or not? If there isn't any way to do it I will build a device to do it. I was hoping some company had already built a shutdown timer that I could simply install but really, this is child's play.

I remember the time I went to the doctor and they tried to weigh me and take my blood pressure and I flipped out at them because it was unrelated to the reason I was visiting there. Oh wait, no I didn't, because I'm not a complete sociopath who is unaware that other people exist.

I know plenty of engineers in varying fields -- and these ones aren't decades behind in their knowledge base -- and I can't imagine any of them reacting well to being simply ordered to do something by some random person. Understanding the totality of a situation, including things the person asking may not think are important, is crucial to any kind of design, any kind of task.

You come here, ask a question, and people asked you questions to get a better understanding of the entirety of the situation. In return, you're condescending, rude, and act with an air of authority that you do not have. You have no right to come here and demand people answer your questions in the way you prefer; just who do you think you are?

I'd expect someone with your claimed experience and age to have developed an inkling of humility, an ability to interact with other people in a more effective way than a five-year-old told that it's bedtime. Basically all your posts at Tom's Hardware involve you calling someone stupid. We have engineered a solution for people who are unable to interact with others like functioning, normal, adults: it's called the door. If this is the history of how you act towards others, I'm sure you're quite familiar with it.

Last edited:
I'd argue the only way to do this is simply to have some fan outside of the system blowing air into it or onto it. There isn't a consumer facing hardware setup for computers that allows fans to keep running for a period of time after the computer's been turned off. So if you don't want use an external fan, you'd have to jerry rig your own thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.