Question How to Copy Two Old 1 TB SSDs to New 4 TB SSD

Sep 20, 2024
I built a new PC which has a 2 TB SSD with a fresh install of Windows. I have a new 4 TB SSD as well which I want to use as a secondary drive. I would like to copy the files on my two 1 TB SSDs in my old PC onto this 4 TB SSD. How do I do this? What program should I use? Will there be any problems caused by the old Windows files onto this new drive? Is there a way to avoid copying those files?

Sep 20, 2024
I want my documents, pictures, applications, etc that I have stored in my two old drives, NOT the Windows stuff. I connected the 4 TB drive to my old PC and have it formatted and empty.

I'm assuming that I could just copy everything from the non-OS drive onto the new one, though it would be more challenging to do so for the OS-Drive.

I want to know the best method to copy these over. I am not sure how cloning works or is applicable to my situation, nor if you can clone two smaller drives to one larger drive. I also don't know if there is a way to clone everything but the Windows related files.

USAFRet

Titan
I want my documents, pictures, applications, etc that I have stored in my two old drives, NOT the Windows stuff. I connected the 4 TB drive to my old PC and have it formatted and empty.

I'm assuming that I could just copy everything from the non-OS drive onto the new one, though it would be more challenging to do so for the OS-Drive.

I want to know the best method to copy these over. I am not sure how cloning works or is applicable to my situation, nor if you can clone two smaller drives to one larger drive. I also don't know if there is a way to clone everything but the Windows related files.
Docs and pics, yes.
Applications, no.

The absolute easiest way is sneakernet.
Simply copy your Docs and Pics to a flash drive.
Put it in the new PC, and copy to the relevant spaces.

Applications can't be transferred like that.
When a program is installed, it makes dozens, sometimes hundreds of entries in the Registry and elsewhere.
The now OS in the new system knows nothing about those.

Reactions: CountMike