[SOLVED] How to correctly setup 2 monitors GTX1660 Ti & Intel graphics card?

rren

Commendable
Feb 2, 2021
hello I bought a Dell 5680 and it has i7-9000 with Intel integrated graphic card, GTX 1660 Ti 6G GDDR6. Please help me setup a properly.
Right now I have monitor #1 connected to the GTX 1660's DVI. Monitor #2 connected to Intel's HDMI. I'm "extending" both monitors in Windows 10. WRight now I can't get any adapter to
connect both of my monitors to the GTX 1660's outputs. Will this lessen or boost my graphics performance? thanks

Solution
Connecting both to the gtx will disable the integrated, for performance there is probably a difference if you look at it as theory but you will never notice anything.
Depends. For just running windows and basic apps, there's no real difference. For anything more intensive there's a somewhat huge difference between the power of a discrete gpu and that of integrated gpu. That pertains not only to games, but affects apps such as AutoCad type programs, Photoshop or Corel Draw etc.

The igpu isn't seperate from the cpu, it's part of it, so anything cpu intensive and graphics intensive is going to put a damper on performance.

Integrated gpu has no vram of its own, it uses the system ram instead, so if you are on the short side of...
Right now I have monitor #1 connected to the GTX 1660's DVI. Monitor #2 connected to Intel's HDMI. I'm "extending" both monitors in Windows 10.
This is the correct way to do it, just make sure your "good" monitor is connected to the gtx.
Connecting both to the gtx will disable the integrated, for performance there is probably a difference if you look at it as theory but you will never notice anything.

Reactions: rren

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Depends. For just running windows and basic apps, there's no real difference. For anything more intensive there's a somewhat huge difference between the power of a discrete gpu and that of integrated gpu. That pertains not only to games, but affects apps such as AutoCad type programs, Photoshop or Corel Draw etc.

The igpu isn't seperate from the cpu, it's part of it, so anything cpu intensive and graphics intensive is going to put a damper on performance.

Integrated gpu has no vram of its own, it uses the system ram instead, so if you are on the short side of ram, that can impact performance, especially if you run short and are forced to pagefile on storage to supplement ram needs.

Multiple monitors from gpu or split gpu/igpu are both correct, there's no Wrong way to connect them as such, but sometimes one way is simply better than the other.

You could wear a sneaker and a dress shoe and for the most part it wouldn't matter, you've got a shoe on each foot so who really cares. But at a wedding wearing a tuxedo, the single sneaker just isn't appropriate for the occasion.

Last edited:
Reactions: rren
Solution
That's why I said to connect the good monitor (main display) to the discreet GPU, this way anything that is run will use the dGPU. Only things that exclusively use the other monitor, or that you specifically tell them to, will be using the iGPU.

rren

Commendable
Feb 2, 2021
now I'm saving up for rams, going for 64gb of ram, right now I have 24gb taking up 3 slots. i can feel i need more rams when doing 3d preview on 2yr old version of revit and chief architect. thankyou all for great knowledge.