[SOLVED] How to covert a SSD primary disk to an MBR disk.

bigbubba2

Distinguished
May 2, 2012
I formatted a disk to logical disk and then to a primary disk and have been trying to convert to a MBR disk, I think once you 1st initialize a disk other then MBR there's no going back. Hope I'm wrong.

Solution
No, its not "toast".

You're referring to the 1TB target drive as being the problem?
You can completely wipe it, and then do whatever you want.

The commandline diskpart function, and the clean command will work.
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-clean-and-format-storage-drive-using-diskpart-windows-10

bigbubba2

Distinguished
May 2, 2012
I want to clone my 250GB ssd drive to a 1TB ssd drive. But it will not allow me to do so. I think it is because I formatted it to a logical drive. That didn't work so then I change it to primary drive and that didn't work. I think it's because I didn't initialize it at the beginning with the MBR.

bigbubba2

Distinguished
May 2, 2012
OK, I guess what you are saying is that this disk is toast with the exception of using it as a storage for files etc. I'll need to buy another and internalize as a MRB. disk. is that correct.

USAFRet

Titan
No, its not "toast".

You're referring to the 1TB target drive as being the problem?
You can completely wipe it, and then do whatever you want.

The commandline diskpart function, and the clean command will work.
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-clean-and-format-storage-drive-using-diskpart-windows-10

Solution
May 25, 2019
Don't know how big your disks are.
One option is to temporarily copy the data off of the disk you are unhappy with onto another device.
Re-initialize the disk you are unhappy with any way you want.
Copy the data back.
Remove the data from the temporary device.
Or keep it as a backup.

bigbubba2

Distinguished
May 2, 2012
Got the destination drive back to MBR status. I'm going to try to clone the drives now. I'll use EaseUS Partition after I get the wire adapter for USB to SATA drive connector (Monday). The drive size source is 250GB and destination drive is
SSD 1TB I think this should work now I hope. I also have Acronis software.

Thank You for all the feedback and hope it works now.