Question How to create a Dual-Boot system on 1 Hard Disk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddule.srb

Honorable
Apr 4, 2018
Hi, simple question. I want to install two Windows 10s on my single Kingston SSD 240gb. I split the SSD into 2 parts, one is my main partition which has 160GB and the other is about 80GB in which i want to install the other Windows 10 and be used for small things and not storage (saying that because most people continue on with the "oh no, you don't have enough space for it." stuff). I formated and gave the split partition a Drive letter, or i can just leave it empty without any letters or being partitioned. Problem is, during the installation it says it's not MBR, it is GPT. And also, in order to change it, "diskpart" thing cannot recognize a seperate Hard Drive, it just sees an SSD and my bigger HDD installed and no split partition. So, how can i make this split partition also a bootable partition?

ddule.srb

Honorable
Apr 4, 2018
But, to actually do this...

Power OFF
Disconnect the HDD
Power UP
Show us a screencap of Disk Management with only the SSD connected.
I want to make a seperate Windows for a family member to use a specific Autodesk program for work. I cannot nor will split the Windows system with "family users" as i don't think my main one would be safe enough, and tho i tried it, it creates alot of problems where i don't want any of the programs to be available to that user but they still are, and installations for "single user" install for both either way. Splitting it in two partitions won't create those problems.

ddule.srb

Honorable
Apr 4, 2018
It is not that hard, if you have divided ssd/hdd in two parts then when you start a win10 install just choose the other part as a install directory.
Read the thread carefully. The partition cannot be used as it is 'GPT' style and not 'MBR'(MasterBOOTRecord). I'm trying to fix that, but the fix related to it cannot be done as the partition can't be seen in 'DiskPart' in order to change it to 'MBR'.

USAFRet

Titan
Read the thread carefully. The partition cannot be used as it is 'GPT' style and not 'MBR'(MasterBOOTRecord). I'm trying to fix that, but the fix related to it cannot be done as the partition can't be seen in 'DiskPart' in order to change it to 'MBR'.
GPT/MBR refers to the entire physical drive.
You can't have both.

The Windows install should show that 80GB partition to install to.

Nov 1, 2019
I have 4 machines running 10. 2 of them since 10 was released and have no issues with the OS. The few problems I have run into have been hardware or driver based not a fault of Windows.
And i did not run into ANY problems on windows 7 since it was released. I Tried to install Win10 on my laptop and 2nd PC, and i had a lot or errors and glitches. When i installed Win7 EVERYTHING was working perfectly/

Reactions: brokeBuilder2019

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
And i did not run into ANY problems on windows 7 since it was released. I Tried to install Win10 on my laptop and 2nd PC, and i had a lot or errors and glitches. When i installed Win7 EVERYTHING was working perfectly/

Your anecdotal evidence doesn't trump anyone elses. In terms of systems I have and own I have 2 high end desktops, a high end laptop, a convertible tablet, a server, and a low end older desktop all running 10 perfectly with 0 problems whatsoever. 7 Crapped on me one day for no reason on my last gaming system. One that ran 10 for 2 years with 0 problems despite being 7 year old hardware.

Now that we have established that, the OP's problem is resolved, and there is no reason to continue taking this thread offtopic. If you have an issue feel free to privately message any member of the moderation team. Otherwise I suggest you let this one go.

ddule.srb

Honorable
Apr 4, 2018
Your anecdotal evidence doesn't trump anyone elses. In terms of systems I have and own I have 2 high end desktops, a high end laptop, a convertible tablet, a server, and a low end older desktop all running 10 perfectly with 0 problems whatsoever. 7 Crapped on me one day for no reason on my last gaming system. One that ran 10 for 2 years with 0 problems despite being 7 year old hardware.

Now that we have established that, the OP's problem is resolved, and there is no reason to continue taking this thread offtopic. If you have an issue feel free to privately message any member of the moderation team. Otherwise I suggest you let this one go.
Could you please close the thread? Thank you ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.