How to create a .ISO file

EddyDeWallyvis

Prominent
Feb 24, 2017
HDD crashed, fresh WIN10 installation.

The user is my dad, an old guy. It was pretty hard, also heartbreaking, to see him struggle to get his laptop in the way it was before.
Anyway I can create an .ISO, or something else, for him when things go bad again?

Thanks in advance.

Solution
I think a SSD would be a good investment, as stated before its fine if the port is not SATA 6Gb/s (Think of SATA speeds as a speed limit on a road, Your car (the SSD) may be capable of 60MPH, but that road (interface) is has a speed limit on 30MPH, thus you cannot go faster than 30 but the car will still work just fine).

Having a external backup drive is a good choice, though if he doesnt want to worry about plugging that in you could get a 1 or 2 bay NAS and wire that into the network (more complicated of a setup though)
Do you mean a iso with a Stock Windows 10 image to reinstall Windows, or do you mean having a backup? There are many free and paid solutions out there that will allow you to do a full restore if a HDD fails. You will obviously need to have a backup stored on a different disk (like an external USB HDD), and you can make a bootable USB or DVD which when inserted will allow you to start the restore process.

Personally I would recommend getting your dad a SSD as opposed to a HDD, less likely to fail.

EddyDeWallyvis

Prominent
Feb 24, 2017

Can't install a SSD, no 6GB/s interface on his laptop.

A way to reinstall evrything on his HDD if needed. WIN10 and all his installed programs, settings, etc.

USAFRet

Titan

1. Yes you can use an SSD. It would just be a little bit slower on a SATA II port. Still faster than an HDD on that same port.

2. Macrium Reflect does exactly what you need for backup imaging.

penn919

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010

It sounds like he wants to store an image backup as an ISO. I wouldn't recommend that though. Just use windows 10's backup feature and create an image on an external HDD or NAS. No need to make an ISO. If your father has lots of data on the drive, the ISO would span several DVDs. There's really no point in that. If you use acronis (or any similar program) leave the image in its native format. The format is optimized for use with the program you used to create it.

I think a SSD would be a good investment, as stated before its fine if the port is not SATA 6Gb/s (Think of SATA speeds as a speed limit on a road, Your car (the SSD) may be capable of 60MPH, but that road (interface) is has a speed limit on 30MPH, thus you cannot go faster than 30 but the car will still work just fine).

Having a external backup drive is a good choice, though if he doesnt want to worry about plugging that in you could get a 1 or 2 bay NAS and wire that into the network (more complicated of a setup though)

Solution

USAFRet

Titan

And even further, the 'old car' (HDD) maxes out at 20MPH on that road, even though the speed limit is 30MPH.
The new car (SSD) will go right up to that 30MPH limit.

Oct 24, 2018
I suggest you'd better to take a look some related tutorials before doing this , some free and fee tools were recommended by Google.
Like it :https://www.iseepassword.com/iso-creator.html