How to create a Private WiFi network to share my eathernet cable connected Internet with my mobile devices?

PieRatedGFX

Honorable
Sep 5, 2013
Hey!

I am a desktop user. I am connected to the internet via an optical fiber broadband connection. Which uses my on board NIC to hook me up on the internet. It does not come with a wireless router or anything similar to that. It is connected to the nearest Hub for my ISP and from there a direct cable connection to the back of my desktop into my LAN card. Now I have been in desperate need to create a WIFI network/hotspot to share my broadband internet with my mobile device and iPod. I have been scratching my head phone for looking for the most applicable solution for my case scenario and actually been looking thorough tons of solutions from search engines but none fits my case or isn't clear enough! So I was wondering if anyone could help me by letting me know what is it I exactly need to do to set up a private WIFI network from my Desktop to share with my other devices and also if possible what are the exact hardware I would be needing to get it done.

Thanks a lot in advance for your time and suggestion.

Regards.

Solution
so you have something like verizon fios? they have fiber lines then come into your house then hook into their main box on the wall from there they generally just run a CAT6 to whatever device like a router, switch etc.

in hub do you mean a router, i hope no one is still using a hub. basically depending on how big your house is and where it is located a decent wireless accesspoint will do. or multiple access points if you want to run a few wires
so you have something like verizon fios? they have fiber lines then come into your house then hook into their main box on the wall from there they generally just run a CAT6 to whatever device like a router, switch etc.

in hub do you mean a router, i hope no one is still using a hub. basically depending on how big your house is and where it is located a decent wireless accesspoint will do. or multiple access points if you want to run a few wires

Solution

PieRatedGFX

Honorable
Sep 5, 2013

Sorry for not being transparent enough about the connection. It's quite antique and very direct connection to be honest. Please see the following flow diagram:

ISP -> Ethernet Switch (HUB) -> NIC on my board.
[A single Switch of HUB usually gives connections to 5-7 or so on different computers]

And more importantly It's a dial-up connection. Means everytime I start up my system, I'd have to manually connect it to get online.

I have been doing some research about a possible solution and found something similar is trying with a Router. But my concern is, how could I connect my dial-up connection to a router? :S

Sorry my knowledge base regarding this networking issue is almost next to nothing so I might be very confusing to both my understanding and explanation but I really appreciate both of yours efforts. Thanks a lot.