[SOLVED] How to create a server inside the classroom via ethernet?

aronbchek

Honorable
Nov 29, 2017
I have a classroom of new iMacs. I'm not extremely technical when it comes to networking but I pick up quickly. At a previous school, they had AIO Dell computers all managed by a local server under my desk. I assume it got the internet connection from the server because if the server went out, no computer could be accessed. This was great because it came with LanSchool and other management systems to prevent students from getting off task or trying to hide their tabs when walking by. I was wondering if I could set up something similar where I am now. I talked to the technician at our school and he says the school doesn't think its feasible to spend money on such a system (its a TItle 1 school so funds are tight). But I was hoping with my computer know how, I could build a server system to route the iMacs into. I would want some more control over the computers, mass download and upload and also have a singular storage space for students to turn in work. Any ideas where to start? I google how to start a server in a classroom, but idk what to specifically search to do for my purposes.

Solution
These type of posts always amuse me. People think they can just watch a couple of youtube video and learn something that takes many years of training. The only reason a company can sell any service is the time required to learn to do it yourself is so high that it tends to be cheaper to pay someone.

What so called "computer know how" do you have. What programming languages have you written software in. Most people that have actual programming background would already know the fundamentals of placing data onto servers.

In your case you are going to have to find someone who has the skills that for some reason would do the work you want for free or you are going to have to spend the time to learn this yourself. Maybe go to...

USAFRet

Titan
Are you in the US?

If so, is there not an IT guy around?
Lacking that, partner up with a local community college computer dept. A couple of smart kids will do this for the experience and references.

You CANNOT do this simply by googling, or a back and forth in a Forum like this.

Reactions: Corwin65

aronbchek

Honorable
Nov 29, 2017
Are you in the US?

If so, is there not an IT guy around?
Lacking that, partner up with a local community college computer dept. A couple of smart kids will do this for the experience and references.

You CANNOT do this simply by googling, or a back and forth in a Forum like this.
IT guy doesnt want to try because he has more pressing matters on his hands with schools opening up again theres a lot more matter of student accounts needing to work and get online, rather than helping someone's who's lab is already working but wants to add a side project.

These type of posts always amuse me. People think they can just watch a couple of youtube video and learn something that takes many years of training. The only reason a company can sell any service is the time required to learn to do it yourself is so high that it tends to be cheaper to pay someone.

What so called "computer know how" do you have. What programming languages have you written software in. Most people that have actual programming background would already know the fundamentals of placing data onto servers.

In your case you are going to have to find someone who has the skills that for some reason would do the work you want for free or you are going to have to spend the time to learn this yourself. Maybe go to the community college and take a couple programming classes. This will only get you started because you have not even considered the much harder questions of how do you prevent the smart students from bypassing the controlling software you want to develop.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS