How to create boot partition with Gparted

Korvax

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2009
Hey guys,

I've been looking around for a proper method when creating an NTFS bootable SSD. I have a new Samsung Evo 850 Pro. I am aware that Windows 7 will format the drive for me, but I like pre-formatting my drives the way I want without Windows BS. I will be using the entire 128GB drive as the OS drive with a separate HDD as the data drive. I have an Asus Maximus VII Hero, so it is UEFI capable. My plan is:

1. Use gparted to create a GPT, and partition the entire drive as NTFS.
2. Run my Windows DVD (yes, it's 64 bit) to install Windows to this drive.

My question is in the partitioning setup. I'm using gparted 0.22.0-1 (latest stable). Sorry I don't have screenshots, I'm typing on my phone, so I'll have to type this out. I have the the new partition set as follows:

A. Free space preceding (MiB) set to 1.
B. New size (MiB) is the entire drive.
C. Free space (MiB) following set to 0.
D. Align to is set to MiB.
E. Create as is set to Primary Partition
F. File system set to NTFS.

Here's where I'm stuck. I've read on lifehacker here that I may need to properly align my SSD. But if it's new, do I need to run two passes on the whole drive, as suggested? Or can I run it as is in my setup above? Thanks in advance guys. I always appreciate all your help.

Solution
There is no "BS" concerned with the boot partition.
Install, and let Windows do its thing.

You A through F is specifically a waste of time.

McHenryB

Admirable
Who is going to know best how to partition a drive for a Microsoft operating system - you or Microsoft? The partitioning setup that you have suggested just won't work, as you haven't allowed for the hidden boot partition. The Windows installationnprogram will just repartition the drive.

As already said, this is a waste of time; just let the installation program do what it does best.