How to create bridge using DSL MODEMs at different telephone lines

hygene

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016
I need to have internet connectivity at home by means of two DSL modems each one at home and office.
It's less of need and more for knowledge.

Note:
1) Internet connectivity has been set up at Office.
2) Main router (at office) is the DHCP server which will assign an IP to my router at home or the rest of the devices.
3) Both places are geologically far and have 2 different Landline connections with free unlimited call plan from same provider.
4) Goal is to create a bridge similar to a P2P devices between PC (at home) and Router (at office).
5) please someone tell me how to configure DSL modem TD-W8968 at home and DSL modem ZTE ZXDSL 531B at office to get to work as a bridge.

Got this crazy idea from one of the app of Samsung which uses speaker and microphone of the device for file transfer and so what the telephone line does.

I was also seeking for the same situation but with mobile phone call as a medium. Also thank you guys for replies.
T.Y.

gbb0330

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015
you are talking about DLS modems right? not a dial up 56k fax modem

modem are designed to modulate / demodulate signal DLS to ethernet and vice versa. they are not desined to accept incoming calls and provide internet access. what you are trying to do does not make sense.

It will be very painful to run today's internet on the old style modems. Most pc do not have serial ports anyway so you will need USB to serial converters. A router will not directly support a dialup modem....some commercial ones will. This means running a dedicated pc on the office end to act as the router. You might be able to use ICS but I suspect you will end up loading a linux router.

It is going to be a lot of effort to get this function and 56kbits is many times slower than the data rates you find on even 3g based phones. You will have to run with all images disabled. If I had to guess it will take many minutes to load a page like this one that has few large images.

hygene

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016

Thankyou for your reply. The modem is DSL and 3 mbps is considered fastest in my region.

I see you edited the main post to indicate this was dsl modem.

Now if you have internet at both locations what you want is a vpn connection. I don't think these routers have that ability but I have not read the manuals fully.

You can not just hook a dsl modem to any old phone line. The phone company must configure it to run DSL and generally that means you have internet service. Depending on the distance you can lease the physical wire from the phone company between the 2 locations but you can not use consumer dsl routers.

Even if you took wire you can not hook 2 DSL modem together they hook to a device called a dslam at the phone company not another modem.

hygene

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016
Hi bill,
I guess you misunderstood the situation.

1) I have only one internet connection at office and not at home.
2) I don't want to create a vpn connection; just a raw connection like if connected by physical wire.

The flow is like:

Internet --- Router --- ZXDSL <==> W8968 --- PC

Where <==> is the target, that I will dial first as a regular call, once call is on, I need to connect this link using other ends of the rj11 on the dsl filters using appropriate configurations

You are confusing 2 different types of connection.

The old style ran modems and dialed phone number. You would need the old slow 56k modems on both ends.

The modems you talk about using are DSL. Those only talk to phone lines that have the DSL feature activated. You can not just hook them to any old phone line. You must pay the phone company to turn the DSL feature on. It still will not do what you want because the DSL goes to the local phone company office there would be no connection between the 2 DSL connection .....unless you paid the phone company to make that connection.

So I suspect the answer to your main question is going to be you can't do what you want to do.