How to create multiple network addresses from an existing LAN?*Urgent*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 7, 2018
Hi all,

I am trying to create two network/subnets divised from an existing main network address.

For instance, the network address is 192.168.16.0
The mask is: 255.255.255.0

How would I go about doing this? I want the two subnets to be on the Network Address, but in their own separate division from the main network address.

Also from creating the subnets, would the mask change from 255.255.255.0 to another number? Would that stay the same as the initial mask?

Mar 7, 2018
Hello,

Just wanted to clarify that the above post was not "homework". Unfortunately, if a problem is posted, it is easy to automatically assume that it is an assignment based on the question posed, rather than the assessment of the problem itself. The IP above was pseudo, and just an example to clarify the question. Even if the question were so above, the end result would have been available for others to use as well in-case they come across a similar type- problem, which would have been beneficiary to others interested in subnets, and or an rl scenario which machines do involve.

Since the initial post, have since gained more knowledge for this and know how to do conversion and sub-netting by hand using binary and dividing the number of bits totaling from the network/host. It does not assume other users to hand out answers, nor would it make much sense as networking must have work in order to understand and to work. Some users may do the "PLZ HALP DUMP ASNWUR", but please do not assume that all do so, as well as many of us have done the foot-work, are in the profession themselves, and or and are simply looking for clarity/feedback such as posts like this: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3783539/open-pcs-network.html or this: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/25949-42-change-address-windows

I have used the Tom's Hardware forums for many years as it was an excellent resource. Though I had not made a user account during those years and the site was web 2.0, I'm a tad disappointed that a CS essential site isn't allowed to be utilized by the users as a cs forum, or even a regular forum normally would be, especially a technology-based one that attracts users from all different levels.

Perhaps the question was a little bit-higher-leveled than what is usually posted, but many of us in technologists enjoy working with the public, and or collaborating with other Technology Advocates aren't afraid to neither ask and or answer questions.

If this is real world question then you use the normal real world solutions. Nobody subnets a /24 private block they just use a second /24. There is no need to worry about running out of ip addresses and the concept of broadcast domains in mostly outdated.

Subnet are not even used by anyone in a home or small business environment. You need a actual "router" to support this nothing you buy from the local electronic store is designed to support more than a single subnet.

Mar 7, 2018

Sorry but your in no position to make a judgment call based on the title of the thread. As far as the policy is concerned for Tom's Hardware, anyone can use the forum. What is happening here is speculation on a user's "legitimacy" of their post rather than this here:

http://www.purch.com/terms-of-use/
Section 5.2
"Interfere with any other party’s use and enjoyment of the Services."

If I say it is not homework, then it is not. You have no proof that it is and is faulty logic. I have been out of college for x amount of years now and a user should not have to justify that. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.