[SOLVED] How to create network wifi and password from campground wifi with no modem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

catfishhoward

Honorable
Jun 13, 2017
I will be in a RV which is 350' form the campground office which supplies wifi to the campground so they don't have modems at each camp site, you just log in to their network and password.

How can I use the campground wifi and create my own private network with password, kind of like a hot spot for my 2 windows 7 desktop pc? Is there a wireless router that would pick up their wifi signal without a modem and create my own hot spot (or what ever the correct name is) so I can then run my Ethernet cables from the router to my 2 desktop windows 7 computers as well as wireless for my android cell phone?

I'm not at the campground now so I don't know much about the bandwidth or provider but they did say they have high speed internet that changes with the number of people using it so it's probably not regulated and they don't like people using streaming devices. At this point I just want to be protected and on my own wired network using their wifi, not sure if spending a lot of money boosting the signal is worth it until I get on site to check it out.https://drive.google.com/open?id=1bdrl0ixsdao4wPS547dAQ0iyoWYNkU3K

You could get a WiFi range extender.
Some routers have that feature built-in.
You could place the WiFi range extender between the campground office and the RV.
The challenge will be the location, since a range extender may not obtain sufficient WiFi signal from the main router to simultaneously rebroadcast the signal.
Or the main router could be configured to block such devices.

Reactions: catfishhoward

catfishhoward

Honorable
Jun 13, 2017
Yes - that functionality is pretty commonly available on wi-fi routers. The name isn't quite standard, so you will have to read the manual for any router that you are considering, but it is usually called something like 'client bridge' mode.
Client Bridge Mode, thanks, I've seen so many names I didn't know what to look for.

catfishhoward

Honorable
Jun 13, 2017
I had an old netgear wn3000 wifi extender which I reset and used my old router to hook up my 2 desktops and it works fine. It created a new wifi name and password which I wanted.

So Wifi Extender worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS