How to create recovery partition that has been deleted

h22lude

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2014
I have an Asus N56JN. I wanted to trade it in at Best Buy for a gift card. Laptop is a few years old and it has been collecting dust. I figured I would restore to factory settings but I accidentally erased everything including the recovery partition. As it was resetting everything, an error occurred so I restarted my laptop. It put me into the Asus start up screen and kept restarting itself. I reinstalled Windows 8.1 using an ISO on a USB drive. I can now use the laptop but the recovery partition is gone. If I turn it on and hit escape, my only option is to boot normally. I can no longer reset to factory settings. That is what Best Buy needs to be able to do to give me any kind of money for it.

How do I get that recovery partition back and be able to reset back to factory settings using escape at boot up?

h22lude

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2014

No other way? I don't mind paying that since I'll get $150 from the trade in but obviously would prefer free lol

Edit: Just talked to Asus. No CDs. They said they only way is to send it to them for an estimated $60. I will still make out on the deal but it sucks that I did this. I didn't realize Best Buy does the restore for free. If I did that, I would have come out with $150 instead of $90. Live and learn

Bit of a shame you installed windows 8.1 again on the drive.
What you could of done if no further data was written to the drive in question, and you had a tower based pc as well.
would of been to remove the Hdd from the laptop and connect it to the motherboard of the tower based system.

You could of then run windows, and some drive recovery software to claim all of the information and restore the data for each partition or the laptop hard drive including the recovery partition, and the Os partition that had windows os installed on it.

You see when you delete, or format a drive or a partition of the drive it does not actually delete the data.
All it does is reset the cylinder and sectors of the drive to a condition where it says any new data can be written to the drive or partition.

Hdd have two file allocation tables a primary and a backup. the primary allocation table is also reset.
But the Backup or ghost file allocation table can be read in such a case of accidental data deletion by the user.

Recovery programs you can down load use this so the existing data and file allocation table is written back to the primary allocation table of the drive.

To make it or have the exact same data and drive structure it had before the data was deleted.

As said though once data is written to the drive, the backup or ghost file allocation table is also reset.

h22lude

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2014

Yeah I'm figuring that out now lol Cost me $60

h22lude

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2014

Yeah after posting that I put two and two together. Sucks that Best Buy needs that recovery partition. I'm going to try another Best Buy and see what they say. As long as there is a working OS and the ability to restore the C drive, I would think that is all they need.