Question how to create roaming wifi?

Jun 26, 2019
i have big house with three stoy, and i have the 1000 mbps internet (fiber optic) and from the router i have wall cables to every room, and i have apple 3 airpot extreme connected throw gigabit switch (conected to the router) and i want to add add more routers. my question is can i add another company routers and still het roaming wifi with the airport extreme or do i have to replace the all routers ? and what is the best system for me.

Please explain further what you mean by "roaming wifi". If you mean the ability to pass your connection seamlessly between routers or access points then you are looking to spend commercial grade money. This is only possible with a wireless controller on the network which will drop hosts off one access point in order for it to connect to another with a better connection. This is normally a function of the host device (phone or tablet etc). Generally they will hold on to the AP they are connected to until the connection drops entirely. (Hence no "roaming"). If this is what you are trying to achieve the are a few option to look at. Please explain further.

kanewolf

Titan
The problem with wireless roaming in a home environment, is that the device is in control of which signal it chooses. Some home WIFI hardware like Ubiquiti has some options to help with roaming.
Mixing vendor hardware does not improve any wireless roaming you currently have.

With roaming you want the same vendor. it will allow the AP to talk to each other and share keys for "fast roaming". you only want 1 router so make sure you buy the right item.

wifi only checks for the best signal when connecting to wifi. so the way roaming works is not have much overlap in your wireless access points. You can make the AP signal power weaker to help with this. The AP knows the strength of the connection and many can be configured to drop clients when the signal is weak. This will allow the wifi client to search for the strongest signal again. fast roaming allows it to reconnect faster. unifi wired AP are nice.

Jun 28, 2019
THIs is possible without expensive equipment. I did this in My home using mixed vendors and a mix of old routers and WiFi extenders. Leave the router alone and set up everything else in AP mode. Some of my APs have an option for AP mode and others I had to set up manually.

Walmart sells a cheap WiFi router (like under $30) that I’ve used for this purpose and the sell the linksys RE 6300. It’s actually a wireless extender with a single gigabit port at the bottom but you can switch it from extender mode to AP mode and use the port to connect to the router. I have never tried this using apple equipment.

TRENDING THREADS