News How To Create Your Own Auto-GPT AI Agent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 15, 2023
I'm stuck at step 6 with the pip install command. Can I get some more details on where to do this? I'm not familiar with python. When I try to run this command in the auto-gpt folder in cmd I get internal or external command not recognized. I opened Python 3.11 command link and tried it there and get a Invalid Syntax error.
Where should I be trying to run this install from?
Thanks in advance! :)

--Update. Fixed that issue thanks to chatgpt, however now windows says "This app can't run on your PC" I'm using windows 11 on a surfacebook that's 64bit with the windows 64bit version of python. I've also run cmd as an administrator.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2023
Creating our own AI agent is now simply a matter of giving it some goals, and letting it do its work with Auto-GPT.

How To Create Your Own Auto-GPT AI Agent : Read more
Need clarification on steps 11 and 12 because after follow step 12 scripts>python main.py it says there is no file in the scripts folder. And when I just run python main.py in the Auto-GPT folder I get, ImportError: cannot import name 'main' from 'autogpt'

Apr 16, 2023
Need clarification on steps 11 and 12 because after follow step 12 scripts>python main.py it says there is no file in the scripts folder. And when I just run python main.py in the Auto-GPT folder I get, ImportError: cannot import name 'main' from 'autogpt'
I'm having the same issue and I'm running Win 11. There is no 'main.py' in the scripts folder.

Reactions: EchoTech

EchoTech

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2006
Same here....

EchoTech

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2006
In the Auto-GPT folder there file called README.md . It describes in detail how to download from a different git repository and set it up. It also describe run.bat and run.bat --speak. I will try it and report back.

Apr 23, 2023
TRY THIS: python -m autogpt

Reactions: melbamorph
May 9, 2023
OK...using these instructions the installers won't create the .env folder and you must create the folder and copy the .env template file into that folder. If you are using Windows and using a CMD window you will have to force setting the env by doing the following;
  1. Type the following command: set OPENAI_API_KEY=<your-api-key>
    Replace <your-api-key> with your actual API key.
  2. Press Enter to set the environment variable.
After setting the environment variable, you can confirm that it's been set by typing 'echo %OPENAI_API_KEY%' in the command prompt. This command will print the value of the 'OPENAI_API_KEY' environment variable on the screen.
Once I did this and ran: python -m autogpt EVERYTHING worked perfectly.

May 22, 2023
Creating our own AI agent is now simply a matter of giving it some goals, and letting it do its work with Auto-GPT.

How To Create Your Own Auto-GPT AI Agent : Read more
So...I followed all the directions, everything appeared to be installed correctly, created my .env file with my API key, and then when I hit the command (main.py was not in the scripts subdirectory, by the way so I executed from the auto-gpt directory where it was placed), I wait a few seconds and then nothing happens and it's back at the command prompt. Ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.