how to cushion laptop hard drive to stop it sliding out in transit?

justinm_

Honorable
Jan 8, 2016
So i have a laptop that has a hd that slips out just enough to stop it connecting and need something (foam or something) to stop it slipping out when it's in my bag! (luckily it's not my primary drive) Anyone got any ideas? Also would the foam have to be heat proof or is there some other type of wedge that i can use to stop it moving? (UK links would be great! ;) )

Solution
The problem with foam is that it compresses a lot. It's better for cushioning, than for holding something in place.

Why not fold a post-it note about 5-6 times and jam in in there? The folds will make it slightly compressible so it'll provide some cushioning, you can tailor the size and thickness to exactly match your needs, the sticky side will help keep it from unraveling, and it's cheap.

Heat shouldn't be an issue. HDDs (especially laptop HDDs) don't need much cooling, and most of that is done through the large flat top and bottom, not the ends.
The problem with foam is that it compresses a lot. It's better for cushioning, than for holding something in place.

Why not fold a post-it note about 5-6 times and jam in in there? The folds will make it slightly compressible so it'll provide some cushioning, you can tailor the size and thickness to exactly match your needs, the sticky side will help keep it from unraveling, and it's cheap.

Heat shouldn't be an issue. HDDs (especially laptop HDDs) don't need much cooling, and most of that is done through the large flat top and bottom, not the ends.

Solution

I just roll up some tape and jamm it in there when a drive does that in a laptop. May not be pretty but it works.

TRENDING THREADS