How to deal with a Ninja Looter

Looking to the group for some guidance.

I am a guild master on thunderhorn (rangers of the glade, very small). Two
of my guild members Zerfer and Bayleigh (terrific players) recently were
victims of a Ninja looter. The toons name is tingram. Zerfer had actually
grouped with tingram several times before and felt there was some trust.

The 3 of them were working on a quest. When zerfer finished collecting his
items for the quest he made it free for all (I know this was a mistake
because quest items will still drop on creeps even if its not your turn to
loot), thinking it would speed up the quest. It was agreed that a roll
would occur on anything someone wanted. As luck would have it several kills
later an epic dropped. A blackskull shield.
http://wow.allakhazam.com/item.html?witem=1169

Tingram proceeded to pick it up. Bayleigh and Zerfer told him to roll for
it. Tingram said that he wasn't very lucky at rolling and was going to keep
it. Then he ran off. the 2 of them messaged him, he then put then on his
ignore list. As you can imagine they were both upset.

The next day after finding out the details I messaged tingram and very
politely asked him to either sell the shield and split the sale 3 ways or
meet with them and roll for it. I also explained to him that what he had
done was ninja looted and that the community on thunderhorn frowns on that
style of play. I spent a very frustrating couple of hours trying to mediate
with him. I offered to buyout 1/3 of the shield and then let Zerfer and
Bayleigh decide what to do with it. perhaps in an effort to stop me from
bothering him, tingram finally agreed to sell the shield. I asked him to
coordinate the sale with the other 2 parties....fast forward 2 weeks later
and he has yet to contact either of them.

I spoke with a GM and understandably they will not get involved. they feel
the community should take care of individuals like this. I agree with this
in the sense that I don't want Blizzard looking over my shoulder but I would
argue that to keep things fair Blizzard should allow the chat that occurred
to be posted. That would definitely frame what happened honestly. I know
in the end its just a drop but people like tingram do need to be exposed
otherwise they'll continue the same antics.

Now for the guidance. Should I post on the Blizzard forums?, is there a
list for people like this?

Any input positive or negative would be appreciated

Feides

Blacklist.

Usually on server forums, you explain what happen so that other people are
aware of that person and not to group with them. No matter how much people
bitch and complain about drama, it really works.

By the way, if a member of a group finished the collection quest item, it is
then pass onto the next person who needs it. There was really no need to do
a free for all.

"feides" <nothing@nothing.com> wrote in message
> Looking to the group for some guidance.
>
> I am a guild master on thunderhorn (rangers of the glade, very small).
Two
> of my guild members Zerfer and Bayleigh (terrific players) recently were
> victims of a Ninja looter. The toons name is tingram. Zerfer had
actually
> grouped with tingram several times before and felt there was some trust.
>
> The 3 of them were working on a quest. When zerfer finished collecting
his
> items for the quest he made it free for all (I know this was a mistake
> because quest items will still drop on creeps even if its not your turn to
> loot), thinking it would speed up the quest. It was agreed that a roll
> would occur on anything someone wanted. As luck would have it several
kills
> later an epic dropped. A blackskull shield.
> http://wow.allakhazam.com/item.html?witem=1169
>
> Tingram proceeded to pick it up. Bayleigh and Zerfer told him to roll for
> it. Tingram said that he wasn't very lucky at rolling and was going to
keep
> it. Then he ran off. the 2 of them messaged him, he then put then on his
> ignore list. As you can imagine they were both upset.
>
> The next day after finding out the details I messaged tingram and very
> politely asked him to either sell the shield and split the sale 3 ways or
> meet with them and roll for it. I also explained to him that what he had
> done was ninja looted and that the community on thunderhorn frowns on that
> style of play. I spent a very frustrating couple of hours trying to
mediate
> with him. I offered to buyout 1/3 of the shield and then let Zerfer and
> Bayleigh decide what to do with it. perhaps in an effort to stop me from
> bothering him, tingram finally agreed to sell the shield. I asked him to
> coordinate the sale with the other 2 parties....fast forward 2 weeks later
> and he has yet to contact either of them.
>
> I spoke with a GM and understandably they will not get involved. they
feel
> the community should take care of individuals like this. I agree with
this
> in the sense that I don't want Blizzard looking over my shoulder but I
would
> argue that to keep things fair Blizzard should allow the chat that
occurred
> to be posted. That would definitely frame what happened honestly. I know
> in the end its just a drop but people like tingram do need to be exposed
> otherwise they'll continue the same antics.
>
> Now for the guidance. Should I post on the Blizzard forums?, is there a
> list for people like this?
>
> Any input positive or negative would be appreciated
>

> Feides

Posting on the forums won't do much for you. However on my server there is a
blacklist, if you ninja loot and you can prove it or there is other
witnesses you add them to the black list, which is posted and regulated on a
website. If you go on a raid you can do a quick search to see if any names
match the list, at which point if they do you can either not allow them on
the raid or take full control of the looting on the raid (or have the raid
master do that) Thats what we do, I would research it and see if theres a
site like that for your server, you could always get togeather with other
guild masters and set one up...I think it was a good idea

feides wrote:
> Looking to the group for some guidance.
>
> I am a guild master on thunderhorn (rangers of the glade, very small). Two
> of my guild members Zerfer and Bayleigh (terrific players) recently were
> victims of a Ninja looter. The toons name is tingram. Zerfer had actually
> grouped with tingram several times before and felt there was some trust.

..
..
..
<snip to save bandwidth>

Is the guy in a guild? If he is, you should contact his guild leaders.
I'm an officer in Vigilant Champions on Thunderhorn. We had a similar
complaint lodged against one of our members. After investigation, we
booted him out of our guild for ninja looting and unsportsmanlike
behavior. It may not get your members' their epic back, but it may
give you some satisfaction.

-Alan
Lyvanna lvl57 NE hunter Thunderhorn

"feides" <nothing@nothing.com> wrote in message
> Looking to the group for some guidance.
>
> I am a guild master on thunderhorn (rangers of the glade, very small).
> Two of my guild members Zerfer and Bayleigh (terrific players) recently
> were victims of a Ninja looter. The toons name is tingram. Zerfer had
> actually grouped with tingram several times before and felt there was some
> trust.
>
> The 3 of them were working on a quest. When zerfer finished collecting
> his items for the quest he made it free for all (I know this was a mistake
> because quest items will still drop on creeps even if its not your turn to
> loot), thinking it would speed up the quest. It was agreed that a roll
> would occur on anything someone wanted. As luck would have it several
> kills later an epic dropped. A blackskull shield.
> http://wow.allakhazam.com/item.html?witem=1169
>
> Tingram proceeded to pick it up. Bayleigh and Zerfer told him to roll for
> it. Tingram said that he wasn't very lucky at rolling and was going to
> keep it. Then he ran off. the 2 of them messaged him, he then put then
> on his ignore list. As you can imagine they were both upset.
>
> The next day after finding out the details I messaged tingram and very
> politely asked him to either sell the shield and split the sale 3 ways or
> meet with them and roll for it. I also explained to him that what he had
> done was ninja looted and that the community on thunderhorn frowns on that
> style of play. I spent a very frustrating couple of hours trying to
> mediate with him. I offered to buyout 1/3 of the shield and then let
> Zerfer and Bayleigh decide what to do with it. perhaps in an effort to
> stop me from bothering him, tingram finally agreed to sell the shield. I
> asked him to coordinate the sale with the other 2 parties....fast forward
> 2 weeks later and he has yet to contact either of them.
>
> I spoke with a GM and understandably they will not get involved. they
> feel the community should take care of individuals like this. I agree
> with this in the sense that I don't want Blizzard looking over my shoulder
> but I would argue that to keep things fair Blizzard should allow the chat
> that occurred to be posted. That would definitely frame what happened
> honestly. I know in the end its just a drop but people like tingram do
> need to be exposed otherwise they'll continue the same antics.
>
> Now for the guidance. Should I post on the Blizzard forums?, is there a
> list for people like this?
>
> Any input positive or negative would be appreciated

Yes post on the realm forum.
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/board.aspx?fn=wow-realm-thunderhorn

In <1%ple.1032$gO1.766@okepread06> "luong" <bluong@onlinesupplier.com> writes:

> By the way, if a member of a group finished the collection quest item, it is
> then pass onto the next person who needs it. There was really no need to do
> a free for all.

If the person who has finished the collection quest loots any further
corpses, then yes, any collection items will be available to the rest
of the party.

But if they don't loot, then this will not work. This has always been
my experience.

--
John Gordon "It's certainly uncontaminated by cheese."
gordon@panix.com

Well yes. I was assuming that all party members would check corpse for any
possible blues and epics. Such as in this case.

"John Gordon" <gordon@panix.com> wrote in message
> In <1%ple.1032$gO1.766@okepread06> "luong" <bluong@onlinesupplier.com>
writes:

> > By the way, if a member of a group finished the collection quest item,
it is
> > then pass onto the next person who needs it. There was really no need
to do
> > a free for all.
>
> If the person who has finished the collection quest loots any further
> corpses, then yes, any collection items will be available to the rest
> of the party.
>
> But if they don't loot, then this will not work. This has always been
> my experience.
>
> --
> John Gordon "It's certainly uncontaminated by cheese."
> gordon@panix.com

"feides" <nothing@nothing.com> wrote in message

> Now for the guidance. Should I post on the Blizzard forums?, is there a
> list for people like this?
>
> Any input positive or negative would be appreciated
>

> Feides

www.ninjaed.com

and post on your server's forum.

You should get a screenshot, if you don't have one maybe you can get him to
admit what he did through tells and get a screenshot of that. Generally
unless you screencapped it when it happened it's kinda hard to prove.

On Thu, 26 May 2005 20:32:29 +0000 (UTC), John Gordon <gordon@panix.com>
scribed into the ether:

>In <1%ple.1032$gO1.766@okepread06> "luong" <bluong@onlinesupplier.com> writes:
>
>> By the way, if a member of a group finished the collection quest item, it is
>> then pass onto the next person who needs it. There was really no need to do
>> a free for all.
>
>If the person who has finished the collection quest loots any further
>corpses, then yes, any collection items will be available to the rest
>of the party.
>
>But if they don't loot, then this will not work. This has always been
>my experience.

You're experience is wierd. Collection quest drops are totally independant
of round robin. If the corpse has a quest item on it for me, then it will
twinkle no matter whose turn it is to actually loot it. If there are coins
on the body, those will show up too, since they are auto-split in the
party. If there is a green+, it will also show up along with the dice box.

Chingy

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2004

I say get over it..taking game very seriously ain;t we. I agree with you but
really what can you do now the item is gone and you can't get it back.

"Chingy" <lakiri@lakara.com> wrote in message
>I say get over it..taking game very seriously ain;t we.

But of course. People that go so far as to read the newsgroups tend to
<grin>.

I would make sure that all your guild members know the name of the ninja
looter in question and make sure any other guild you are friendly with do
also. It doesn't take long for a bad reputation to become known and in
higher lvl ups, he'll have a very hard time getting a group.

Back

*shrugs* It's an MMORPG. Role Play. If someone takes something that don't
belong to them, you try to find justice of some sort. You take care of your
'mates.

Your attitude works with single player and/or console games.

> [...]
> > but I would argue that to keep things fair Blizzard should allow the
chat
> > that occurred to be posted. That would definitely frame what happened
> > honestly. I know in the end its just a drop but people like tingram do
> > need to be exposed otherwise they'll continue the same antics.
> >
> > Now for the guidance. Should I post on the Blizzard forums?, is there a
> > list for people like this?
> >
> > Any input positive or negative would be appreciated
> >

> > Feides

> Is the guy in a guild? If he is, you should contact his guild leaders.
> I'm an officer in Vigilant Champions on Thunderhorn. We had a similar
> complaint lodged against one of our members. After investigation, we
> booted him out of our guild for ninja looting and unsportsmanlike
> behavior. It may not get your members' their epic back, but it may

I totally agree on this, if the guy is guilded you let their guild leaders
know. You may want to have some proof, such as a screenshot. If their
guild does nothing about it then you can let the community know about that
guild.
If he is not guilded I would make a post with available screenshots on the
WOW forum for your particular server. He will get his purple, but after his
reputation goes down the toilet his chances to get better gear will go down
with it.

antiacid

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
looks like a keylogger, don't click/download/install this stuff. Also, thread necromancy is bad. Be a cool kid and report this guy to the mods!

pr2thej

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
Screenshot and post on realm forums, and agree to only take it down if they pay double the value of the item.
Blizz terms say you cant name and shame on their forums without a screenie, and with that sorta evidence the ninja will find it very hard if not impossible to find a group or guild.
I just googled "Ralcake" which was the name of a chap that did this on our server years ago. Point is i remember his name still, and the thread is 1st in google search...he eventually had to pay to leave the server.