Question How to deal with a snapped Mobo cable?

Fire-Wire

Honorable
Jul 13, 2017
Hi, smart folk! So, while blitz-cleaning the interior of my case, very superficially so, I noticed one of my cables (those that go on the bottom pins to power the power/reset/usb/LSD thingies) was snapped. I swear I don't know how that happened and I was shocked for a few seconds. I turned the PC on fearing the worst, but nothing seems out of place. It was the orange one, by the way, and I don't know to what it connected before.

Is there anything I can do? Is that replaceable somehow? Do I have to buy a new Mobo just because of this little orange cable?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Should just be a supplemental ground pin, I think. Just means all the returns are going through a single wire.

Don't charge from those ports would be my advice.

Fix would be to pull the connector, remove the pin, strip the wire a little, and solder it to the pin. Or replace the cable entirely. USB 2.0 header cables are readily available. Would just be a matter of figuring out the right kind for the other end (if it is removeable at all, some are direct to circuit board, and then you are back to soldering)

Reactions: Fire-Wire

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS