Question How to deal with an old graphics card?

VenB

Prominent
Aug 27, 2021
I know that the usual cleaning of the card helps in temps but overheating on my radeon r7 240 is such a problem to my valorant sessions. I tried changing the thermal paste multiple times and a thermal paste that came with my cpu seems to help.

The solution has been underclocking core and memory but I can't sacrifice performance to keep having 45fps. Fps matters on the game :kek:

VenB

Prominent
Aug 27, 2021
Maybe it is time to get a new gpu, sigh.. but even old cards are expensive on my area so that's why I'm trying to squize every ounce of Performance on this thing

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
performance comes at a price. Sometimes you just have to fork out some money for more performance.

a GT 1030 would perform better than the gpu you are currently using.

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I know that the usual cleaning of the card helps in temps but overheating on my radeon r7 240 is such a problem to my valorant sessions. I tried changing the thermal paste multiple times and a thermal paste that came with my cpu seems to help.

The solution has been underclocking core and memory but I can't sacrifice performance to keep having 45fps. Fps matters on the game :kek:

This is about your basic problem.

3yjqdca6iry31.jpg

Now, Valorant has fairly low requirements, but basically, you're slagging a non-gaming GPU from a decade ago. There's no real solution because, inevitably, power is heat. Maybe you can rubber band a couple of fans on and get a little better airflow, but your practical options are extremely limited.

Reactions: Tac 25

VenB

Prominent
Aug 27, 2021
A

3yjqdca6iry31.jpg

Now, Valorant has fairly low requirements, but basically, you're slagging a non-gaming GPU from a decade ago. There's no real solution because, inevitably, power is heat. Maybe you can rubber band a couple of fans on and get a little better airflow, but your practical options are extremely limited.
An entry level for 2022 is like 2 months worth of food for me.

VenB

Prominent
Aug 27, 2021
What temps are you seeing?
Are you confident you reapplied thermal paste correctly?
Have you tried software to increase fan curve?
I saw it reach 95°c when defaults is applied.

And so uh quick question, I use Radeon software to modify the performance of the card, if you were to increase power control, what would happen?

VenB

Prominent
Aug 27, 2021

3yjqdca6iry31.jpg

Welp I strapped on 2 6x6cm fans on the gpu with a couple of rubber hair bands and I'm gett consistent temps below 70 on furmark atleast for now.