Question How to decrease CPU temp on a Ryzen 9 5900X ( i tried everything )

Jan 30, 2023
So i bought a Ryzen 9 and replaced my 5600X ( which was very cool - max 60 degrees) .
I had a 120MM AIO Liquid Cooler from ID - Cooling - Temp were going to 90 degrees C fast ( 2 minutes in Microsoft Fligh Simulator ) , also Furmark takes it to 90 in 1 minute using the new AIO cooler .
Replaced it with a Cooler Master ML240L , although better , still goes to 90 in some tests/games .
OCCT - max 83
Cynebench - max 85
Cyberpunk is ok-ish - max 83-84
Idle - 37-46 degrees

What i did :
Bios is latest version on a Gigabyte B550 Pro
Replaced AIO with a better one - Cooler Master ML240L V2
Changed thermal paste to a better one - Noctua NH1
Added more coolers to the PC case, airflow is correct - 2 big fans pulling air in, one fan taking how air out
Undervolt( not stable sadly) - tried diff combination, at one point it cracks randomly
PBO disabled
Changed position of radiator and coolers
Open PC Case since closed was bad because of the GPU blowing heat inside ( i dont have lower fans)

Any ideas? I am running out :(

Cooler Master ML240L
i'd say 2x 120mm setup is still too little for a higher performance CPU such as this.

if turning current cooler's fans and pump up to 100% offers slightly better temperature than default
then you know a larger radiator with more powerful fans will do an even better job.
Changed position of radiator and coolers
how is the current setup positioned
and what case is this system housed in?
2 big fans pulling air in
with the case open then the added intake fans become almost pointless.

Reactions: PEnns
Jan 30, 2023
i'd say 2x 120mm setup is still too little for a higher performance CPU such as this.

if turning current cooler's fans and pump up to 100% offers slightly better temperature than default
then you know a larger radiator with more powerful fans will do an even better job.

how is the current setup positioned
and what case is this system housed in?

with the case open then the added intake fans become almost pointless.
The case is Gamemax Black hole . It had no problems on ryzen 5 5600x .
Retested CoD Mw2 , temp are now lower with the new AIO - 72 max, but system froze :/
Very weird behaviour.

I guess if the pump wasnt working, idle temp would not be 37-38 degrees . I only have fan settings, not pump.
it could be runnin at lower rpm
anyway, check which fan header its using, its 3pin fan cable comming from pump
then check in BIOS setup how much rpm it shows under that header

it should be around 2400rpm, if that fan header cannot be configured to be running 100% all time, then you will need to connect it with another header which is configurable

Reactions: subdread
Jan 30, 2023
Well now the case is open :) So airflow doesnt really matter at the moment .
After doing several tests, some games are ok - temp about 70-75 , Furmark still goes up to 87 REALLY fast , Cynebench 82-83 .

Jan 30, 2023
it could be runnin at lower rpm
anyway, check which fan header its using, its 3pin fan cable comming from pump
then check in BIOS setup how much rpm it shows under that header

it should be around 2400rpm, if that fan header cannot be configured to be running 100% all time, then you will need to connect it with another header which is configurable
RPM seems to be fined, going 2200 +

The problem remains with Microsoft Flight Sim - going 86-87 and more sometimes.
Aswell as other stress tests :(

What is your frame rate cap in MSFS? CPU load and heat shouldn't be an issue unless you are running VR and need 120fps. If you are running at 120fps on a monitor then cap it to 60fps. Past 60 you are just heating the room for no reason.

To clarify, if you have vsync on and set to 100% of monitor and you have a 144Hz monitor you are just going to MURDER your CPU load wise if you have say, a 3090 and mediocre cooling. MSFS looks and performs best around 60fps. 120fps for VR.

Last edited:
Reactions: KyaraM and subdread
Jan 30, 2023
What is your frame rate cap in MSFS? CPU load and heat shouldn't be an issue unless you are running VR and need 120fps. If you are running at 120fps on a monitor then cap it to 60fps. Past 60 you are just heating the room for no reason.

To clarify, if you have vsync on and set to 100% of monitor and you have a 144Hz monitor you are just going to MURDER your CPU load wise if you have say, a 3090 and mediocre cooling. MSFS looks and performs best around 60fps. 120fps for VR.
I have an 165HZ monitor, no FPS cap / no VR / just playing the game cassualy - BTW - it get 89 degrees WHILE LOADING ! Then it drops a little to 85-86 and jumps in this area.
FPS around 70-80 win MSFS - 2K ULTRA.

Jan 30, 2023
Thank you all for the advices btw .
Games are more stable after some tweaks in Bios, but Furmark goes 90 in 10 seconds :))
Very weird that CP 2077 stays at 70 degrees, but MSFS goes 90...

Last edited:
Thank you all for the advices btw .
Games are more stable after some tweaks in Bios, but Furmark goes 90 in 10 seconds :))
Very weird that CP 2077 stays at 70 degrees, but MSFS goes 90...

You need to cap your frame rate in MSFS. It is the most CPU intensive game you'll play. Cap it to 60fps via Nvidia Control Panel under Program Settings and your temps will settle down. As I said, there's zero benefit to high frame rates in a sim like this, you gain nothing but the extra heat you are posting about.

Reactions: KyaraM

Kona45primo

Honorable
Jan 16, 2021
You might want to play around with your various power limits. I was doing some research to try and bump up my 5700x but I would assume you should be able to do something similar to your 5900x to calm down those temps a little without losing much performance... NoView: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/kfpele/5800x_adjusting_ppttdcedc_limits_on_pbo_got_me/?ref=share&ref_source=embed&utm_content=body&utm_medium=post_embed&utm_name=7da5c4e1284e41c1b5073fd383d1aac0&utm_source=embedly&utm_term=kfpele

You might want to play around with your various power limits. I was doing some research to try and bump up my 5700x but I would assume you should be able to do something similar to your 5900x to calm down those temps a little without losing much performance... NoView: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/kfpele/5800x_adjusting_ppttdcedc_limits_on_pbo_got_me/?ref=share&ref_source=embed&utm_content=body&utm_medium=post_embed&utm_name=7da5c4e1284e41c1b5073fd383d1aac0&utm_source=embedly&utm_term=kfpele

Another great option. Undervolting is the new overclocking anyways lol

Reactions: subdread
Jan 30, 2023
Thank you very much , i will test it soon .
I have played with these values, but i found the pc unstable( random freezes- meanwhile i disabled C-state and AMD C&Q ) .
But i like to test out values, so i will return with feedback .