[SOLVED] How to decrease OC ratio on Z690

Jan 17, 2022
Hello

I'm a bit new in overclock stuff, I got an i5-12600k paired with Asus TUF Z690 Plus D4, my motherboard is overclocking my CPU to 4.9GHz out of the box on default. I'd like to lower the clocking ratio to a slightly lower 4.4GHz, went to the BIOS but couldn't find how to do it and I'm a bit worried to mess something up.

Last edited:
Solution
Hey there,

So, that's entirely normal for your CPU. It's actually pointing to many good things. Firstly the 4.9ghz you're seeing is because that is the boost speed of the CPU's P cores (performance cores). Under light loads it can get up to 4.9ghz with ease and it doesn't cause issues. This is normal behaviour. Under a heavier load, it might go back to 4.6 or 4.4 on all cores. The CPU will adjust itself using an algorithm and windows thread scheduler, based on CPU temps, cooling, voltage.

However, your CPU also has 'E' cores which are more efficient and run at lower speeds to help with backround tasks amongst other things.

TBH you shouldn't really change anything. The CPU will adjust everything you need to think about, without having...
Hey there,

So, that's entirely normal for your CPU. It's actually pointing to many good things. Firstly the 4.9ghz you're seeing is because that is the boost speed of the CPU's P cores (performance cores). Under light loads it can get up to 4.9ghz with ease and it doesn't cause issues. This is normal behaviour. Under a heavier load, it might go back to 4.6 or 4.4 on all cores. The CPU will adjust itself using an algorithm and windows thread scheduler, based on CPU temps, cooling, voltage.

However, your CPU also has 'E' cores which are more efficient and run at lower speeds to help with backround tasks amongst other things.

TBH you shouldn't really change anything. The CPU will adjust everything you need to think about, without having to think about it :)

Reactions: Satan-IR
Solution

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
As said above you can lower the clocks through setting the ratio etc.

But why would you want to run your CPU at lower speeds than it's intended for and is safe? Unless there's over temperature problems that can not be remedied quickly (such as an underperforming cooler) and/or other issues that might render that clock/speed problematic (system instablity and crashes and such) there's no schenario that would require the CPU clock to be lowered in my opinion - which is somehow equal to shooting the CPU in the foot.

I too would say leave it as is.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Jan 17, 2022
Go to the Ai Tweaker page and scroll down to "Performance Core Ratio", set this to "Auto" if it's not already, then below that set "Performance Core # Specific Ratio Limit" to 44.

See page 19 of the manual: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...UF_GAMING_Intel_600_Series_BIOS_EM_WEB_EN.pdf

Thanks for the help

Hey there,

TBH you shouldn't really change anything. The CPU will adjust everything you need to think about, without having to think about it :)

Thanks for the helpful info, as you said, a 4.9ghz overclock is good sign that my system can handle it, but the reason I'd like to lower it is I don't always need a high OC that would put excessive heat and tension on my CPU. My main usage is games and currently I play less demanding and quite old AAA like BF1, BF4, and Valorant. I thought about slightly underclocking the CPU when I don't need that much of a performance whilst trying to conserve my CPU and system. I actually underclocked it through Asus' AI Suite 3 program but I have to do it manually each time I open the PC. My average temps at 4.4ghz are 50-55 while at 4.9ghz 55-65.

As said above you can lower the clocks through setting the ratio etc.

But why would you want to run your CPU at lower speeds than it's intended for and is safe? Unless there's over temperature problems that can not be remedied quickly (such as an underperforming cooler) and/or other issues that might render that clock/speed problematic (system instablity and crashes and such) there's no schenario that would require the CPU clock to be lowered in my opinion - which is somehow equal to shooting the CPU in the foot.

I too would say leave it as is.

The reason I'd like to lower it is I don't always need a high OC that would put excessive heat and tension on my CPU. My main usage is games and currently I play less demanding and quite old AAA like BF1, BF4, and Valorant. I thought about slightly underclocking the CPU when I don't need that much of a performance whilst trying to conserve my CPU and system. I actually underclocked it through Asus' AI Suite 3 program but I have to do it manually each time I open the PC. My average temps at 4.4ghz are 50-55 while at 4.9ghz 55-65.

What do you think about my temperatures? I use Cooler Master Master Air MA612

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
The reason I'd like to lower it is I don't always need a high OC that would put excessive heat and tension on my CPU. My main usage is games and currently I play less demanding and quite old AAA like BF1, BF4, and Valorant. I thought about slightly underclocking the CPU when I don't need that much of a performance whilst trying to conserve my CPU and system. I actually underclocked it through Asus' AI Suite 3 program but I have to do it manually each time I open the PC. My average temps at 4.4ghz are 50-55 while at 4.9ghz 55-65.

What do you think about my temperatures? I use Cooler Master Master Air MA612
Yes doing that in BIOS would be a permanent until changed but adjustment through AI Suite has to be done everytime it boots amnually.

Those are average temps and the change in CPU clocks results in a -/+ 10C bracket. If that 65C is the maximum it gets to under heavy load at 4.9Ghz it's quite safe and a long way from being dangerous.

I would say playing "lay less demanding and quite old AAA like BF1, BF4, and Valorant" is the more reason to leave the CPU do its thing. If you played more demanding titles and as a results of their load for example your CPU temp went over 70C or neared 80C that would somehow justify the clockdown.

Also keep in mind that those are averages. The load is everchanging so is the temperature. If the CPU (system) and the cooling works as it should -which in your case appears to do so - it is safe.

All that being said if it makes you feel better that your CPU is safer that way - and it's not really hampering its performance in the work you need it to do - by all means do it.

Jan 17, 2022
Yes doing that in BIOS would be a permanent until changed but adjustment through AI Suite has to be done everytime it boots amnually.

Those are average temps and the change in CPU clocks results in a -/+ 10C bracket. If that 65C is the maximum it gets to under heavy load at 4.9Ghz it's quite safe and a long way from being dangerous.

I would say playing "lay less demanding and quite old AAA like BF1, BF4, and Valorant" is the more reason to leave the CPU do its thing. If you played more demanding titles and as a results of their load for example your CPU temp went over 70C or neared 80C that would somehow justify the clockdown.

Also keep in mind that those are averages. The load is everchanging so is the temperature. If the CPU (system) and the cooling works as it should -which in your case appears to do so - it is safe.

All that being said if it makes you feel better that your CPU is safer that way - and it's not really hampering its performance in the work you need it to do - by all means do it.

Thanks for clarifying things up, I guess I'll just leave it on default that way my CPU will adjust its clock automatically based on the required settings and performance. I'll also try to put some heavy load and monitor temperatures because as you stated my current temps aren't troubling. Much appreciated :)

The 4.9 you see is a turbo clock not a general all core overclock.

It is only on one or two cores, and is set only when load and thermal conditions permit.
It is fruitless to try to second guess this operation.

You're totally right I just checked Asus' Armoury Crate and only two or 3 of the performance cores are actually OC to 4.9.