How to delete an OS off a hard drive but keep the data?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Okay I'm in a weird situation. So I have a 60GB SSD and a 1TB Hard Drive. I have Windows 8.1 on the hdd. I just got the ssd and I wanted to put Windows 7 on it, so I did (because if I don't like 7, I can always go back to 8.1) but the issue is. How do I delete my OS off the HDD but keep my user files and stuff (alot of stuff)

Why would I want to remove the OS but not the data? I have tons of games from Steam, my personal data, stuff I can't store on the ssd because of its low size. Also, I cant boot into Windows 7 and delete the Windows folder on the hdd because it will auto boot into Windows 8.1 no matter what I do. I can go to boot menu and select boot to SSD, nope. Boot SSD first, nope. Both OS's don't show up in msconfig. EasyBCD didn't help. Tried a bit of Visual BCD. I need to delete the Windows folder so I can use the 1TB for data only...but I can't have them both connected at the same time because of the auto boot to 8.1 thing.

Hopefully I find a solution.
Thanks in advance ;-;

Solution

Remove the HDD completely.

USAFRet

Titan
1. There is no 'autoboot'. In the BIOS settings, you can select what drive(s) to boot from in which order.

2. For the Win 7 install, disconnect all other drives. Install on the SSD.
2a. Verify the SSD is the only drive in the boot order.

3. Once it is all up and working, then reconnect the old HDD

4. Create a top level folder on the HDD, completely outside Users/Rafi/
4a. Copy any data you wish to keep to that folder structure.
4b. Wipe out the Windows stuff on that HDD. /Windows /users, etc.

5. For all other applications, reinstall.

6. For Steam games, you can designate that new location, and not have to 'reinstall' them.

mnineseven

Reputable
Sep 20, 2014
How about you buy an external 1TB hard drive? they cost around 50-60$
Then copy all the data over and format the desktop drive.

That is the simplest solution I can think of.
You could also borrow one from a friend?

G

My SSD didn't come with a migration tool nor do I know one for it (Corsair SSD?)

G

I will try this but will take a while as I have a lot of take moving to that folder.

G

Not exactly an option.

G

Also for boot, I know what you mean but I have Windows 7 on the SSD. Windows 8.1 on the HDD. Even if I put the SSD to boot first in the BIOS, it will still boot Windows 8.1.

USAFRet

Titan

Unless you have a very weird BIOS, it cannot do that.
What happens if you disconnect the HDD with 8.1 on it?

G

If I disconnect the HDD, and leave only the SSD. It works fine. Windows 7 boots up and works. If I connect the HDD, Windows 8.1 boots even though my SSD is set to boot first.

USAFRet

Titan

Even if you take that Win 8 HDD completely out of the BIOS boot order?
If so, that is very, very odd.

G

I have a MSi z79-g45 I believe, so in the Bios I have the list of like 10 items or so to boot in order, and theres a spot for my hard drive or my main boot drive. When I click on that, I get 2 drives. My HDD and Corsair SSD. I have the SSD set to #1 and HDD set to #2.

USAFRet

Titan

Remove the HDD completely.

Solution
G

I will try to do that. I am on 8.1 writing this so I'l reply in a while with success or not.

michaelhall

Reputable
Jun 1, 2014
install both of them but unplug the data cable from the HDD install win7 onto your SSD then when all done leaving the pc on (wont harm anything) plug data cable back into HDD then delete what you want to delete ,,, bobs your uncle :)

G

I found that if I could remove the HDD by clicking on it and disabling it. Now it boots to my SSD and my HDD is just used as another drive. Thank you so much for helping and also, others as well. Gotta love this site :)

Sep 22, 2020

I found that if I could remove the HDD by clicking on it and disabling it. Now it boots to my SSD and my HDD is just used as another drive. Thank you so much for helping and also, others as well. Gotta love this site :)
This forum was last active like 6 years ago but does anyone know how he disabled the HDD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS