How to delete corrupted file???

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

syamdi

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
Hello, ineed sombdy to help me....
when i'm trying to delete some avi file n folder it will appear as "preparing to recycle....discovering item...."for along time,,,n it will never delete the item...

verbalizer

Distinguished

try it.
if that doesn't work then full- install of Windows.

lee_terry_jr

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
I hate to necro this old thread but I had just went through a hassle trying to delete a file that wouldn't even delete in safe mode. I tried all answers posted that I could but cant stand dos. After searching the web for hours I found an answer that has not been posted here and worked great for me. I went to majorgeeks and got a program called move on boot (link at bottom of post). After I downloaded it, I installed it, I ran it as administrator, I right clicked in the middle of the window, I clicked delete file, and I targeted the file that was being troublesome. After that I told the program to restart windows and the file was gone.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/emco_moveonboot.html

ldc

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010
RUN > MSConfig > Services > (Arrange by Publisher) > Disable anything by APPLE

Then restart. I don't know what's the reason, but since I don't use Apple products, but having iTunes installed for their 'Genius' feature, I can afford to turn off anything 'Apple' at startup. In instances when I have forgotten to, I have issues like this, and slow startup.

Olduvai

Reputable
Jun 9, 2014
I had exactly the same symptoms as described in this thread and applied ldc's solution (disable services by Apple). After that, I deleted the file permanently with shift-DEL, but it reappeared in the folder when I refreshed the view. So I restarted in safe mode and did a checkdisk. Finally, the file was gone for good when I restarted once again normally.

It appears that some software from Apple running in the background had left this media file open when I had to disconnect my USB drive without being able to eject it properly beforehand.

BTW, I'm not ashamed to post on an old thread if it can help others :)

dude23

Reputable
Aug 15, 2014
I just had this exact same problem with a file on Windows 7 and tried most of the solutions on this thread before finally finding a different solution that actually worked.

Malwarebytes File Assassin didn't work. I couldn't delete the file from Safe Mode or in a Command Prompt window using DOS (tried the DOS solution both in Safe Mode and after a normal boot)... Didn't get around to performing a chkdisk, but I doubt that would have worked... it didn't work for the original starter of this thread who had my exact same problem.

I was too scared to let Emco MoveOnBoot try to delete my file after a restart because it failed to delete the file without letting a restart happen first. I was afraid that prompting it to try and delete my file after a restart might make it impossible for me to boot my machine if it hung again on restart and then kept trying/hanging on each new restart attempt. (This scenario seemed all the more likely because File Assassin, which is another program that tries to delete locked files, had already failed to delete my file, and it hung while trying.)

I already had all services by Apple disabled when the problem first occurred, so that wasn't my problem.

This problem was not about the file being locked, which is probably why File Assassin and MoveOnBoot failed. This problem wasn't about getting an explicit error message about the file and/or system being corrupted.

Instead, the OS or any program that tried to delete the file just hung and ate up CPU cycles.

In my case, just opening the folder in Windows that contained the corrupted file would boost explorer.exe CPU load to between 95% and 100%!! And when you tried to delete the file with Windows, Windows explorer spent all its time trying to discover the item before it moved it to the recycle bin, and it never could do either.

Solution: Use Windows PowerShell to delete the file using DOS commands just as you would delete it from the command-line in a normal Command Prompt window. Using DOS commands to delete the file failed when I ran the commands from a normal Command Prompt window, but using DOS commands to delete the file was successful when I ran those same commands within a PowerShell window!! Woo hoo!! :D

(Once you install Windows Powershell, just run it and use it in the same way you would use a normal Command Prompt window. And even if you've never done anything from the command-line, you should definitely learn how to execute the few simple DOS commands that you need (cd, dir, del) to get the job done. It's a lot easier and a ton less hassle than having to reformat your entire hard drive just to fix this problem!!)

Here's a link to a page with instructions and links for downloading and installing Windows PowerShell:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh847837.aspx

Good luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies.