[SOLVED] How to delete everything on HDD to have it "new and clean" and install windows on new SSD?

Nereknu

Reputable
Aug 30, 2016
Hello everyone I bought new SSD 500GB. I have HDD 1TB with a lot of stuff I don't need anymore and some games + windows there but I will install everything from scratch on SSD and use my HDD as storage for pictures, movies and other stuff I don't need to be fast...my problem is how to delete everything on that HDD and install windows on the new SSD ? I made usb booting device for windows but I heard its better to ounplug HDD and install windows on the plugged SSD but then I will have two windowses on new SSD and old HHD and other stuff I don't need to keep on my HDD...

the reason why connect SSD disconnect HDD, is that win10 can and often will see the space on the HDD and create a linked partition of 500mb to the main SSD system partition where windows will reside, if either SSD/HDD is not connected or has issue the system will not work at all.
easier to install windows on the ssd then use hdd for data only, permitting to upgrade SSD later without affecting the data drive

"Linked partition"? What's that?
Issue is not some mystery "linked partition". It is bootloader partition. If windows install sees bootloader partition already existing on one of drives, it will not create another one.
But bootloader partition on new SSD is necessary or else it is not bootable by itself. HDD with previously existing bootloader partition will be necessary to boot the system.

Oct 21, 2019
I've got the same problem: an active (bootable) Windows partition on HDD and need to clean install Windows onto SSD only. Do I need to disconnect my HDD and why?
Most importantly, how would I remove the active partition from my HDD after the installation?

USAFRet

Titan
I've got the same problem: an active (bootable) Windows partition on HDD and need to clean install Windows onto SSD only. Do I need to disconnect my HDD and why?
Most importantly, how would I remove the active partition from my HDD after the installation?
Please start a new thread for your particular situation. You'll get better, more relevant replies.

Thanks.