Question How to delete folders that cannot be accessed by the system?

Emshe

Commendable
Dec 21, 2019
Long story short Xbox game pass for PC has problems when uninstalling games a certain way. No space was freed up from uninstalling a 37 gb game. When I go to reinstall I just get an error.

After digging around I found where I think the game files are being stored. C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\PrivateDivision.TheOuterWorldsWindows10_1.2.418.0_x64__hv3d7yfbgr2rp

Trying to open the folder gives me the error "Location not available. The file cannot be accessed by the system." So I booted up Linux (ubuntu) on a USB drive and tried to delete in from there. Unfortunately I got an error on there as well, asking if I had already deleted the file. I am also the owner of the folder in the security tab. How can delete this darn thing?

Also if a mod stumbles across this: Can you please delete the post I made about this in Systems?

Colif

Win 11 Master
I wonder if fast startup works in a dual boot situation... i wonder this as a restart (note: I said restart, not reset) of win 10 could resolve it. If its a folder that has been deleted but just waiting for aa restart to finish action. What fast startup does is puts win 10 into a hibernate mode when you turn it off, so only time a PC with it on is actually off is during a restart. But I am not sure it works in dual boot.

I removed duplicate :)

Colif

Win 11 Master
I mean, I have shut my PC off and turned it back on if that's what you mean.

If fast startup is on, and you shut it off, it goes into a hibernate state, and isn't actually off. The only time its off is during the restart command in the power menu, or during an update.
When you shut down a computer with Fast Startup enabled, Windows locks down the Windows hard disk. You won’t be able to access it from other operating systems if you have your computer configured to dual-boot. Even worse, if you boot into another OS and then access or change anything on the hard disk (or partition) that the hibernating Windows installation uses, it can cause corruption. If you’re dual booting, it’s best not to use Fast Startup or Hibernation at all.

https://www.howtogeek.com/243901/the-pros-and-cons-of-windows-10s-fast-startup-mode/

So try a restart and if that doesn't work, try turning fast startup off and then use linux and see if it lets you - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html

Emshe

Commendable
Dec 21, 2019
Colif, I followed your instructions and unfortunately nothing changed.

7-zip as admin couldn't delete it either. Somewhere in the fourm post linked they warn against changing the permissions of the WindowsApp folder, which I did. And like they said, changing the permissions back is proving to be challenging.

I think I am just going to wipe everything and re-install at this point. Thanks for the help though c: