How to delete Grub?

ar1speedboy

Reputable
Nov 24, 2014
I have one SSD which has Windows Installed on it and another HDD with a 100GB partition reserved for Linux and a much larger partition which is shared between Windows and Linux.

When I installed Linux I didn't want Grub interfering with my Windows boot loader so I didn't install Grub on the SSD but rather on the HDD, so that it would only appear when I boot directly to the HDD from the BIOS (it works like I wanted it to, so I haven't installed it incorrectly).

I know how to uninstall Linux using Windows disc management but how do I get rid of Grub? People online assume that Grub is overwriting the Windows boot loader and say to use the repair Windows feature to get rid of it, but I don't think that will work for me because my Grub is installed on my HDD not my SSD.

Solution
The easiest way, if you want to keep Windows and Linux, is to set the HDD with GRUB as the default boot device and add Windows to the GRUB boot list. This keeps your Windows bootloader intact, GRUB simply passes on the boot command to the Windows bootloader. The commands "sudo update-grub" will do this auto-magically.

If you want to really delete GRUB from the HDD then you need to write zero's to the MBR where GRUB is currently installed. Use this command with a linux livecd/liveusb:
Code:
$sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=446 count=1
Where /dev/sdX is the harddrive where GRUB is installed. Take care not to write to your Windows/SSD.
The easiest way, if you want to keep Windows and Linux, is to set the HDD with GRUB as the default boot device and add Windows to the GRUB boot list. This keeps your Windows bootloader intact, GRUB simply passes on the boot command to the Windows bootloader. The commands "sudo update-grub" will do this auto-magically.

If you want to really delete GRUB from the HDD then you need to write zero's to the MBR where GRUB is currently installed. Use this command with a linux livecd/liveusb:
Code:
$sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=446 count=1
Where /dev/sdX is the harddrive where GRUB is installed. Take care not to write to your Windows/SSD.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS