How to delete just Windows?

nathund1

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015
So as of now, I don't have a necessarily "Legitimate" copy of Windows 7. Later this year, I'm putting together a new computer, in which I wanted a new (and legit) copy of Windows 7. The problem is, the drive I'm using has a lot of things I don't want to delete (like mods for games and settings for... well, other games). Is there any way for me to copy everything except the illegitimate copy of windows? Or am I going to have to download it to a usb and go part by part? (moving from 1 tb drive to a 3 tb drive) Also, is there an easy way of booting off an ssd but having everything download to a hard drive automatically?

Solution
This sounds possible but from experience it isn't always perfect. In Windows Explorer, use the Tools menu>Folder Optoins>View tab, tick to Show hidden files and folders then untick Hide protected systems files and folders so that all the files are visible.

Then go to C:\Users and select your personal folders and copy all of them to a safe place outside the PC. That will include AppData which should hold all the fles with the settings for your games. Do the same with C:\Program Data.

When you format the disk as part of your new installation of Windows 7, install the games then - and not until then - parachute the relevant folders for each game into the appropriate place, agreeing to overwrite the files the new installation...
This sounds possible but from experience it isn't always perfect. In Windows Explorer, use the Tools menu>Folder Optoins>View tab, tick to Show hidden files and folders then untick Hide protected systems files and folders so that all the files are visible.

Then go to C:\Users and select your personal folders and copy all of them to a safe place outside the PC. That will include AppData which should hold all the fles with the settings for your games. Do the same with C:\Program Data.

When you format the disk as part of your new installation of Windows 7, install the games then - and not until then - parachute the relevant folders for each game into the appropriate place, agreeing to overwrite the files the new installation created.

As i said above, it will not work in every case because some programmes store their data in strange places.

Solution

nathund1

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015

Where is tools menu?

nathund1

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015

Looks Like it will work, thank you.