Question How to delete page file & hibernation file on Lenovo Flex 5 Laptop ?

DREDKNOT_2077

Honorable
Nov 5, 2017
how do i disable an delete the page file and hibernation file on Lenovo Flex 5 Laptop, 14.0" FHD Touch Display, AMD Ryzen 5 5500U, 16GB RAM, 256GB Storage, AMD Radeon Graphics, Windows 11 Home
dont want or need an it will free up space on the drive

i need a step by step .

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
hibernation: to turn this off, enter the below in Command Prompt (admin)
powercfg -h off
that will remove hiberfil.sys

Win 11 will hardly ever use the page file so if you don't use it, its size will only be about 2gb.

USAFRet

Titan
how do i disable an delete the page file an hibernation file on Lenovo Flex 5 Laptop, 14.0" FHD Touch Display, AMD Ryzen 5 5500U, 16GB RAM, 256GB Storage, AMD Radeon Graphics, Windows 11 Home
dont want or need an it will free up space on the drive

i need a step by step .
YOU may think you don't need the pagefile. Windows, OTOH, has different ideas.

You can set it to a small specified amount. But do NOT remove it completely, or set it to zero.
1GBMin, 8GB Max....something like that.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Without a page file, if you ever use all your ram, you will get out of memory errors.
Without a page file, if you crash it cannot create crash dumps.

just make it small and if you never use all your ram, it will likely stay small.

go to settings/about
choose Advanced system settings
choose settings under Performance
choose advanced tab
choose change under Virtual memory
Untick Automatically manage paging file size for all drives
choose custom size
Initial size - 2048mb
Maximum - 8192mb
click set
ok
apply
restart PC

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
commit size would = ram though. it knows its limits.

Just means you run out of memory a lot faster as with page file, it can at least swap things out of ram. even with 32gb of ram I still use paging though not a lot. normally only 500mb

Colif

Win 11 Master
I meant the total commit limit would only equal ram, if you don't have a page file
commit limit = ram + page file totals available now (without needing to extend page file. )
h10BlHU.jpg

if commits are above ram, then yes... he would need more ram to turn page file off. or limit its growth potential.
Once PC exceeds commit limit you get errors. Windows can't give more memory past there.

You should have commit size less than physical ram.
If it is more than physical ram, then this means - your current workload requires more physical ram and
ram upgrade is in order.
Not necessarily. Windows can "swap" unused commit pages into the page file by simply updating the page table since there's nothing to copy.

Currently as I'm typing this, Windows committed 11GB, but 7GB is actually in use. If this difference remained the same up to the point where the commit size reaches my RAM capacity, it can start swapping out the 4GB of unused committed space.