Question How to delete Windows 10 off of SSD without making SSD unusable?

dekw04

Commendable
Oct 6, 2017
Hi everyone.

I have a spare SSD that I plan to put into a laptop that I have so that the laptop will have two SSDs in it.

This SSD has Windows 10 installed on it.

The laptop that I have also has Windows 10 installed on it.

As such, I need to delete Windows 10 off of my spare SSD so that the two operating systems don't clash with each other since both SSDs will be in the same laptop.

Can someone please tell me how I can delete Windows 10 off of the SSD in question without making said drive unusable?

Do I just reformat it? I think this is what I need to do, I just don't want to unwittingly render my spare SSD unusable.

Thank you.

dekw04

Commendable
Oct 6, 2017
Use your windows installation drive/disc. Select the drive that is in question and remove all partitions within it. However, BE SURE to select the right drive. If you select the wrong drive, you will permanently delete your data.
Thank you for your reply.

The spare SSD is not in a computer at the moment so I'm not sure if I can use a Windows drive/installation disk on it. I don't think I mind losing the information on this spare SSD as I already have the information that's on it backed up onto other drives.

My goal is for this spare SSD to be used as an extra storage drive within my laptop even if all of the current information is deleted off of it (the spare SSD). I just want to avoid the possibility that I could somehow make the spare SSD unusable as a spare storage drive for my laptop.

Thank you for your reply.

The spare SSD is not in a computer at the moment so I'm not sure if I can use a Windows drive/installation disk on it. I don't think I mind losing the information on this spare SSD as I already have the information that's on it backed up onto other drives.

My goal is for this spare SSD to be used as an extra storage drive within my laptop even if all of the current information is deleted off of it (the spare SSD). I just want to avoid the possibility that I could somehow make the spare SSD unusable as a spare storage drive for my laptop.
Just install it in and do what Groveling_ worm told you. Or you can use an USB to SATA adapter to connect old drive and delete all partitions from it from Windows Disk Management.

As such, I need to delete Windows 10 off of my spare SSD so that the two operating systems don't clash with each other since both SSDs will be in the same laptop.

They cannot and won't clash. You can simply install the 2nd drive to your laptop, and then it is only one thing that matters: selecting a default boot device in BIOS. You need to make sure you are booting your regular drive, not the one you just added.

After Windows boots, you will see additional drive and additional partitions, but you can safely just remove them all from Disk Management, repartition, add a different letter and reformat. Done.