How to destroy radeon 4870

daxyco

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
Hey everyone,

I was playing at my computer, overclocking my 4870 and phenom II, when I started getting artifacting. I reduced the clocks of the card, and it was ok. For a while. Then I started getting artifacts on lower clocks. So on, I started getting artifacts on default clocks. I shut the PC down, and a few hours later, when I turned it on, everything was ok. It's possible that this will happen again. My question is what do I do to return the card and claim warranty, before the warranty period ends. In other words, I want to burn my card, but in a way no one can tell how it was destroyed.

Hope I was clear!

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
I'm pretty sure warranty and refund-ability are not the same thing, thought it depends on the terms. If your warranty is still good, as you've said, tell them it's not working and send it in for a replacement.

And overclocking to burn it won't work, because you can't claim warranty due to damage through overclocking, as it's your own fault.

In fact, you already may not be able to claim warranty as you said you overclocked it. As you've said you've overclocked the 4870 AND your Phenom II, perhaps you don't have adequate cooling? You may have damaged the 4870.

htoonthura

Distinguished
May 21, 2006

No wonder why this planet is jacked up.

esuckq

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
Well I'm not going to help you with your warranty fraud, but I will say that the same happened with my 4870. Overclocked to 865MHz and got a load of artifacts. Then reduced the clock to stock and the artifacts were still there. So I promptly soiled myself and restarted the computer and all was fine. No problems with artifacts since then, even when overclocked to 860MHz. So chances are you don't need to replace the card anyway...

fencer55

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
Try reinstalling the ATI Catalyst drivers. I have a 4870 and had the same problem, but I uninstalled and then reinstalled the drivers and the card was a good as new.

alexcheng

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
That is so not a virtue...

Dude, don't burn it and think they won't know, they don't hire hardware mechanics for nothing.

You can even sell it to a second-hand store, I bet you could still get about 30-50% of the original price!

"Whatever goes around comes around" My friend... :non: