[SOLVED] How To Determine Case Fan RPM

YrbkMgr

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2014
I have a lower end Mid-Tower case that didn't come with a case fan - there's one on the CPU, but not in the case. I bought a Noctua NF-A9 PWM, Premium Quiet Fan, 4-Pin (92mm, Brown) with the following feature:
  • 4-pin PWM version for automatic speed control via 4-pin PWM fan headers, broad 400-2000rpm speed range
When I go into BIOS the fan speed for both, the CPU and the new case fan, reports approx 1,000 RPM. What drives/triggers a higher RPM? How can I monitor the speed within Win 10 ? Basically, why is it reporting 1,000 RPM instead of higher?

I keep seeing the temp of my WDC Black C: drive rise, and I am trying to provide better cooling to the case to see if I can reduce the temp.
See this image of the HDD temperatures:
VvZ2mC5.jpg

Any thoughts sure would be appreciated.

Solution
If the fan speed for the case fan on FAN2 is shown in BIOS Setup at 1000 RPM always, with no options for configuring anything or setting speed, you can increase that case fan speed another way. Get an adapter cable that gives you a standard 4-pin fan output (male with pins) from a 4-pin Molex output from your PSU. Here is an example with four outputs, but you only need one output for one fan.

https://www.amazon.ca/Splitter-Adap...ds=fan+adapter+to+Molex&qid=1628908107&sr=8-2

You should be able to get something like that from a computer parts shop. This will give your fan full power to run at its max speed always - NO speed control - but faster than you are getting...
What model motherboard are you using? The manufacturer would usually provide a fan control app that varies speed based on temperature. You could start by checking the manufacturer's website and see what supporting apps they provide. This would be the safest since it would ensure that the app works with your motherboard's temperature sensors.

YrbkMgr

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2014
Ahhhh.... I get it now <<slaps forehead>> I'm an idiot. Unless you have the HW and SW capabilities to use temp feedback to control fan RPM, the fan just runs at a single speed. At least that's what I think you guys are saying. And since I have a POS Aspire TC-780(KBL) (U3E1) Motherboard, and the BIOS is rudimentary and archaic, the fan's just going to run at 1,000 rpm.

Thanks guys.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
If the fan speed for the case fan on FAN2 is shown in BIOS Setup at 1000 RPM always, with no options for configuring anything or setting speed, you can increase that case fan speed another way. Get an adapter cable that gives you a standard 4-pin fan output (male with pins) from a 4-pin Molex output from your PSU. Here is an example with four outputs, but you only need one output for one fan.

https://www.amazon.ca/Splitter-Adap...ds=fan+adapter+to+Molex&qid=1628908107&sr=8-2

You should be able to get something like that from a computer parts shop. This will give your fan full power to run at its max speed always - NO speed control - but faster than you are getting now. Further, you will NOT be able to "see" its speed in BIOS Setup with this connection.

Solution

YrbkMgr

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2014
This will give your fan full power to run at its max speed always - NO speed control - but faster than you are getting now. Further, you will NOT be able to "see" its speed in BIOS Setup with this connection.

A thought occurred to me... using that strategy of a PSU powered fan would make the whole POINT of a 4-Pin PWM fan irrelevant. I mean, If I don't use PWM/temp feedback, then a 2-Pin Fan connected to the PSU would have been fine. This is why I have the signature line that I do...

Anyhoo, thanks a ton for the input.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
You're quite right. IF you had know from the beginning that your mobo would not do auto temp control, you could have bought a 2-pin fan powered from the PSU. But even the mobo manual gives absolutely NO detail on that.

Thanks for Best Solution.