Question How to determine if the Mobo is dead or the CPU, or RAM?

Jul 12, 2020
I have an LGA 1155 ASRock H77M with an Intel core2duo (don't remember which, but no HT). it was a Media PC in a case with 120mm fan. so it isn't really overheated.

One day it just didn't start. No BIOS, no LED, no fan, no noise. nothing. The PSU seems OK - I used it successfully to power a different board. My assumption is the board is dead. But is there a chance it could be the CPU or the DDR 3 RAM? i have no other LGA 1155 board to test the CPU, and have no other DDR 3 system.

Maybe it isn't worth, but i could buy an old $30 board of ebay. but for that to even make sense I would need to know for sure it is the board. New boards cost more than a modern budget board, so that wouldn't be worth.
Alternatively i also could sell the RAM and CPU, but for that i also need to know if that works (meaning the board is the culprit).

I realize nothing of that system is worth much these days, just want to explore my options other than bringing it to recycling. The HDMI port only does HD, not 4K. but not all my TVs are 4K. so it could still work as a media PC, if it worked.

Ralston18

Titan
How old is the motherboard/host computer?

Any beep codes at startup?

Have you tried installing a new CMOS battery?

Have you powered down, unplugged, opened the case and cleaned out dust and debris?

Then doublecheck that all cards, cables, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly seated?

Reactions: HerrKaLeu
Jul 12, 2020
How old is the motherboard/host computer?

Any beep codes at startup?

Have you tried installing a new CMOS battery?

Have you powered down, unplugged, opened the case and cleaned out dust and debris?

Then doublecheck that all cards, cables, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly seated?

I replaced the battery and... IT WORKS!
Thanks so much. I guess I never had a PC for such a long time that the battery became an issue.