How to determine panel manufacturer?

no1spec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2003
I have been looking at some of the 17" LCDs and after reading the last round-up I have been looking for monitors with the HyDis panel. I know about the ProphetView 920 Pro, but am looking into others. I have read that the sharp 17" monitors use the same panel, but have been unable to verify this. Does anyone know a good way to determine the panel manufacturer for a given monitor? Also, if it has the same screen what benifits does the ProphetView have over the sharp (LL-17D4), which is about $100 cheaper?

Zivman

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2001
I just ordered the sharp and if you compare specs with the 920 pro, they are the same. Maybe email Sharp and ask what panel it is.

I think the sharp has 2 key advantages over the 920:
Availability and price. I think the 920 comes with a DVI cable though and has a better looking enclosure than the sharp IMO.

midiman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I live in the US. I too did some research and found that the Sharp LL-T17D4-B/H and LL-T17A4-B/H are with identical specification as the Hercules Prophetview 920 pro/DVI. I sent email to Sharp and asked if it is using Hydis panel or not. The reply from Sharp technical support was "We make our own LCD's." Sharp may not let you know what they use even it is an OEM panel inside the LCD. Anyway, I ordered Sharp LL-T17D4-B (D means DVI) from newegg.com last Friday for $438.00 (including shipping). I just received it today (1/2/2004). This LCD is way better than what I used before. I have Samsung SyncMaster 957MB CRT and Samsung 171V LCD. The pixel respond time is much better than my previous Samsung 171V, and UT2003 gaming is definitely better but is still not as perfect as CRT, I can't say there is no blur at all, just slightly a bit. The clarity and color are outstanding and even better than my SamsungSync Master 957MB CRT. The coolest thing about Sharp is, you can adjust the black level of the monitor. There are 4 modes for the display - Standard, office, sRGB, Vivid, so you can get instant adjustment for various level of brightness, contrast and black level.

Sharp LL-T17A4-B and LL-T17A4-H (A means analog) are widely available in the US. If you search on www.pricegrabber.com, you will find dozen of vendors are selling it. However, the LL-T17D4-B and LL-T17D4-H are a bit difficult to locate, I just checked newegg.com and it is available again.

Questor

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2004
The 920 PRO DVi has a built in cable with a DVI-I connector on the end and a DVI-I to DVI-D as well as DVI to analog adaptors. This is the "International" version.

It's a great display.