how to determine the limit of speed my line can handle ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

moking01

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2014
So ive subscribed to a program in where i live it gives me whichever maximum speed my phone line can handle and i would like to know if there is any way possible i could know this information accurately.

Solution
Hi, depending on your ISP provided modem/router you should be able to see the maximum bandwidth of your DSL by logging into the UI of the router (usually 192.168.1.1 or something similar, it's even written on the backside of the router) and navigate to (also depending on the manufacturer) to your xDSL statistics or internet status or something similar. Once you're there you'll see a lot of info such as line attenuation, noise margin, output power, etc.. All of them will be sorted in two groups called upstream and downstream (or upload and download). In those two categories you should see actual line rate or maximum bandwidth or something similar and the value is presented in Mbps or kbps.

The maximum bandwidth should always be higher...

grana92

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2014
Hi, depending on your ISP provided modem/router you should be able to see the maximum bandwidth of your DSL by logging into the UI of the router (usually 192.168.1.1 or something similar, it's even written on the backside of the router) and navigate to (also depending on the manufacturer) to your xDSL statistics or internet status or something similar. Once you're there you'll see a lot of info such as line attenuation, noise margin, output power, etc.. All of them will be sorted in two groups called upstream and downstream (or upload and download). In those two categories you should see actual line rate or maximum bandwidth or something similar and the value is presented in Mbps or kbps.

The maximum bandwidth should always be higher that the current bandwidth that you're using (you can check that on speedtest.net)

For reference: If you're using ADSL2+ your max bandwidth will go up to 24-25Mbps, for VDSL2+ this value will go up to 65-60Mb/s,
Note that your maximum bandwidth will primarily depend on the length of your line.

I hope this helps

Reactions: ruecian20
Solution

moking01

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2014

I have a RJ-11 Jack connected to my modem coming from a splitter. The splitter is mainly fed with the main phone line and divided to a modem branch and a phone branch.
In such setup ive heard that it could -sadly- handle up to 16MBps which is what im actually getting right now.

Feb 10, 2023

The maximum bandwidth should always be higher that the current bandwidth that you're using (you can check that on speedtest.net)

For reference: If you're using ADSL2+ your max bandwidth will go up to 24-25Mbps, for VDSL2+ this value will go up to 65-60Mb/s,
Note that your maximum bandwidth will primarily depend on the length of your line.

I hope this helps

I know this post is very old, but I decided to register to this site just so I can upvote this comment. Thanks @grana92, this helped me.

Status
Not open for further replies.