[SOLVED] HOW TO determine which of those 2 hdd to choose to install win10

Status
Not open for further replies.

anaturelover

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
Hi,
i plan to have a dual boot.
the ssd i have will host linux and win 10 will be on a hdd.

in my home i have 2 hdd of 500gb each but i dont know how to select the best

what is more important ?

the health bad sectors ?
the speed ?
the cache?
other?

wich freeware on win can verify the health of the hdd?

2 toshiba DT01ACA050 seems to be a 32m cache from my search. not sure .

3 the western digital has confusing info on it
the original sticker says wd5002aaex 00z3a0 wich my search reveiled is 32 cache

BUT at top right is written recertified 64mb cache

BUT there is an additional sticker newer that says 32 m . why is that there ontop?

anyways, i wonder how to establish on which i should choose to install win10 on
and why

any expert on the matter?

tx

https://www.disctech.com/Toshiba-DT01ACA050-500GB-SATA-Hard-Drive

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
i never tried linux before
mdd titan are you saying that
i should place linux on the hdd as it is natively fast and that i would get more out of the ssd with win10 on it as i dont know wich os i will like better in the end?
Like that win 10 on hdd would be a pain is this what you are telling me ?
Linux is a whole different animal.
Depending on what you use the system for, and your software, it may or may not be a solution.

With and HDD and SD, Linux should go on the HDD not because "it is natively fast", but rather that Windows is a bit more hardware intensive.

SSD vs HDD for Windows?
Well.....Most systems still have Windows on an HDD. Would it be better on the SSD?
Absolutely.

Colif

Win 11 Master
health, don't want to lose data, its more important to me than how fast it is

Unless you want dual boot, only have 1 hdd in when you install win 10 as it likes to share itself around.

use this on the WD - https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?lang=en&p=279
I am not sure about the Toshiba, I would use crystaldiskinfo to see SMART scores

crystaldiskinfo will also tell you what drives they are

Reactions: CountMike

anaturelover

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
are your suggestions to discover the true identity of the disk real name and specs

or
to count the bad sector and or health?

Also can i run these prog on my old laptop with the hdd plugged in a usb sata adapter case?

anaturelover

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
ok it is worth a try i agree.
do the hdd need to be empty do run those test? i beleive both have old win on them.
hum thinking about it i want to completely erase them anyway ,
is there a freeware that kind of format those hdd from my laptop?

Colif

Win 11 Master
You can run test on a full drive if you want, i use it to test mine.
2bHsc22.jpg

wipe disks -
Boot from installer
On screen after language choice, pick repair pc, not install
Pick troubleshoot
Pick advanced
Pick Command Prompt
Type diskpart and press enter
Type list disk and press enter
This will show the list of drives currently attached to PC, make note of the drive number of the drive you want to wipe

If Disk 1 is the drive you want to clear, type select 1) and press enter. A message will confirm it is selected

Warning: Diskpart Erase/Clean will permanently erase/destroy all data on the selected drive. Please be certain that you are erasing the correct disk.

Once you sure its right disk, type Clean and press enter

The Command Prompt window will display the message "DiskPart succeeded in cleaning the disk". Close out of the Command Prompt window by clicking the red X in the upper right hand corner.

anaturelover

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
hi when I open dashboard the window is completely black . seems like it is not working but in the lower right corner, i see its icon and it tells 23 % available so it is kind of semi working .. what to do

i desinstalled it and reinstalled it and same black window..

it seems this 3.2.2.9 is for ssd. both of my hdd are hdd.. is there a version for hdd?
--------
Other question, on the hdd there is a win i think cause i see the same kind of folders as im used to . I probably tested one of the image i had made to see if everything works.

who can i check wich windows it is and maybe what years has the image been done?

-----
on crystal disk info i click the non hentai version , download but i have to choose between xp- and vista- ?? what ? im on win7..
tx

Last edited:

antonis mark

Prominent
Jan 21, 2021
Hi,
i plan to have a dual boot.
the ssd i have will host linux and win 10 will be on a hdd.

in my home i have 2 hdd of 500gb each but i dont know how to select the best

what is more important ?

the health bad sectors ?
the speed ?
the cache?
other?

wich freeware on win can verify the health of the hdd?

2 toshiba DT01ACA050 seems to be a 32m cache from my search. not sure .

BUT at top right is written recertified 64mb cache

BUT there is an additional sticker newer that says 32 m . why is that there ontop?

anyways, i wonder how to establish on which i should choose to install win10 on
and why

any expert on the matter?

tx

https://www.disctech.com/Toshiba-DT01ACA050-500GB-SATA-Hard-Drive
pick the WD its more reliable and have less problems , my one Toshiba on my old laptop had a bad sector problem until it died

Last edited by a moderator:

anaturelover

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
hi what is the operation verification im trying to do? bad sector search?

Western Digital Dashboard does not seem to work on my laptop( i have a hdd not a ssd) is there another freeware that i could use for it?
tx

anaturelover

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
hi it is too early to compare the 2 hdd but i have question on thes 2 test on WD . toshi ba not tested yet
1 about de rectangle that appears when i pluged the hdd in the usb adabtor. what does it mean why his it asking me if i want to repair ?? analyse and repair what?

2 this test took 1 minute, i remember having tested for bad sector cople years ago and there was multiple run and took long time. why is it so fast ?
does it look for bad sector? bad tini square unusable on hdd?

3if not should i run a bad sector test, it seem to be a important factor concerning health of the hdd ...?
tx
View: https://imgur.com/66ubM6a

View: https://imgur.com/iEZwlLN

View: https://imgur.com/cOXB0Mt

Last edited:

anaturelover

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
hi
here a the 2 hdd View: https://imgur.com/Jel5Axu

View: https://imgur.com/pwrjxiH

I repost my questions since they are important to me
do you know someone who could answer them ? tx
it is too early to compare the 2 hdd but i have question on thes 2 test on WD . toshi ba not tested yet
1 about de rectangle that appears when i pluged the hdd in the usb adabtor. what does it mean why his it asking me if i want to repair ?? analyse and repair what?

2 this test took 1 minute, i remember having tested for bad sector cople years ago and there was multiple run and took long time. why is it so fast ?

3if not should i run a bad sector test, it seem to be a important factor concerning health of the hdd ...?

Colif

Win 11 Master
analyse & repair sectors

I think so, yes. see below for why it was so fast.

Its possible you don't have many spare sectors to use and it is why it took so little time to correct them, because it can't fix them all. All drives have an amount of spare space it can swap out for bad sectors, it is limited though and if you start to run out, its best to replace drive or not use it for anything critical as once it has no spare sectors left, it can't fix errors. The bigger the drives, the more free space they have to fix themselves.

So of the last 2 you tested I would use the Toshiba , as it has no warnings.

The value on report that shows warning is
C5: Current pending sector count
The thing is, I have same values on my WD drive for all the columns except raw values. I don't think its reading the values correctly
mine shows
current: 200
Worst: 200
Threshold: 0
same as yours so far.
my raw is all 0's, you have a 1 - but the numbers aren't that obvious as its not a decimal number. As you can tell if you look at other rows above.

Reason I gave you the dashboard is because it replaced this - https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?lang=en&p=3 - but see if the old test sees hdd. If any program can see the right values, its that one.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
the health bad sectors ?
the speed ?
the cache?
other?

So all drives seem to be same health,
they are both same speed
The WD has 64mb cache, the Toshiba only has 32mb - https://www.disctech.com/Toshiba-DT01ACA050-500GB-SATA-Hard-Drive

3. I can find results for that drive with both 32mb and 64mb, so maybe one replaced other?
for example

I would use the WD as it has twice as much cache.

anaturelover

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
HI colif when you say WD is 64 mb, can you find this info in the last post's result or or are you telling this from the image in the first post? cause on this very image in the botton there is a sticker ontop that says 32 mb seeming to indicate a piece would have been changed turning the wd 64mb into 32 mb.

Also the yellow prudence of post 12 would be wrong when looking at the more extensive test made at last post, is that what you say?

Colif

Win 11 Master
HI colif when you say WD is 64 mb, can you find this info in the last post's result or or are you telling this from the image in the first post? cause on this very image in the botton there is a sticker ontop that says 32 mb seeming to indicate a piece would have been changed turning the wd 64mb into 32 mb.

I see what you mean now, they sold it as a 32mb drive even though it shows 64mb on the top. Obviously there were 2 models and when they sold it, they put the wrong sticker on it. They may have multiple drives at time to label, mistakes happen. COuld be another drive out there mislabelled as 64mb when its really 32mb

the image in the example, the top picture, shows your WD model & 64mb on top.
I don't know how it was refurbished but they wouldn't have opened drive up and added cache or changed details, so I expect you just had someone who was confused about which drives to label.

I can find people selling the 32mb hdd with pictures of the 64mb drive, so it exists, its just so old its not showing on WD pages, so I can't just go to them and prove one way or other.
I think that is why there are 2 different memory sizes linked to same drive, no one can identify there were 2 variants of the same drive. So both get merged into same description over time.
This one has 64mb but no cache size mentioned in item. They were clever - https://www.donordrives.com/western...0z3a0-dcm-harchtjaab-sata-3-5-hard-drive.html

Also the yellow prudence of post 12 would be wrong when looking at the more extensive test made at last post, is that what you say?
Crystaldiskmark didn't like drive, so you ran WD & Seagate tool on it and both didn't find any problems. I think the WD tool is better suited to testing their drives.

Really, if you have any doubt about it, just buy an ssd and use it to boot off. it wouldn't take me a month to choose which drive to use.

Most Linux OS variants is still quite remarkably snappy/responsive even when run from a spinning drive...

Win10, however...! (the proverbial expression, 'like watching paint dry' comes to mind!)

A good time to point out that 500 GB SSDs (Crucial MX500, etc) run about $60 new...(an 8 second boot from SSD is quite noticeable compared to 30-40 seconds with a spinner...!

anaturelover

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
hi so are you suggesting that i should place linux on the hdd as it is natively fast and that i would get more out of the ssd with win10 on it as i dont know wich os i will like better in the end?

anaturelover

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
i should place linux on the hdd as it is natively fast and that i would get more out of the ssd with win10 on it as i dont know wich os i will like better in the end?

USAFRet

Titan
Linux is a whole different animal.
Depending on what you use the system for, and your software, it may or may not be a solution.

With and HDD and SD, Linux should go on the HDD not because "it is natively fast", but rather that Windows is a bit more hardware intensive.

SSD vs HDD for Windows?
Well.....Most systems still have Windows on an HDD. Would it be better on the SSD?
Absolutely.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.