Question How to diagnose battery not charging

Jurosem

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2007
Hi, when my laptop was less than two years old, the battery stopped charging. I'm pretty sure the problem is not just general battery decay, since it wasn't very old at the time, and the battery was fine one day and then the next it just refused to charge at all. My dashboard indicator says 0% charge (sometimes it said 2%, not sure if it ever said 1) when the battery is plugged in, and then changes to like "255% (plugged in)" when I take the battery out, so its presence is being registered in some way.

I've been using the laptop for a year or two since this happened, always plugged in. But now I'd kind of like to be able to use it on battery. I realise I'll probably need to take it to a professional, but it would be nice if I could get some information on exactly what the problem is before I do that.

So I'm wondering if there are steps I can take to determine what the issue is? Like, is the problem with the battery or with the laptop itself? Unfortunately I don't have access to another battery I can trial to test that.

It's an HP Probook 430 G3

Many thanks for any help.

Is it the original charger?
While the laptop is off and plugged in to the wall, is the battery charge LED on ? Let it charge over night and try again powering on after this.

Have a look if the battery can be calibrated or initialized in BIOS somehow.

Install the latest drivers from the HP support homepage for your laptop

Techie-Joshua

Prominent
Jul 14, 2020
If your laptop HP Probook 430 G3 functions normally when the power cable is plugged in, then the battery may be faulty. So the only solution remain is to replace your old battery with a new one.

Jurosem

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2007
I updated the Bios but got no joy. The battery light flashes orange intermittently, which apparently suggests a charging problem. I suppose I have little choice but to try to find a replacement battery and hope that fixes it. Thanks for your help Joshua and Helpstar

TRENDING THREADS