Question How to diagnose possible hardware issue/software issue?

3ggy

Honorable
Nov 23, 2014
Looking to gain some insight as to how one might go about narrowing down an issue that may be hardware related, software related or a mix of both. I play Rainbow Six: Siege on a weekly basis, and I have been consistently crashing to desktop while ingame, browsing menus, during mvp screen in t-hunt, you name it. When I crash to desktop I have around 30 seconds (I haven't officially timed it) of hearing audio from the game, other players over VOIP, but my screen freezes and I cannot exit forcibly kill the client in task manager. This has been happening since this June and has gotten exponentially worse, even after various hardware swaps that fixed other issues I was having with my system (cpu overheating, awful ram). In addition, I have scoured the forums on Ubisoft, opened multiple support tickets, and asked on the R6s reddit for help on this issue, which has yielded me nothing thus far. The only thing I have to go off of was that my cpu was one of the processors affected 3 years ago by a bug causing 100% cpu usage/random crashing to desktop.

Any help would be appreciated.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
What is your entire system specification including PSU make and model?
Do you have latest BIOS installed?
Do you have latest drivers installed (including MB/Chipset drivers)? (Not using a driver updater program too!)
What have you tried so far as to avoid us replicating steps?
Do you have any overclock/XMP enabled?
What CPU and GPU temps do you reach under load?
Does the issue only occur in R6S?

3ggy

Honorable
Nov 23, 2014
Do you have latest drivers installed (including MB/Chipset drivers)? (Not using a driver updater program too!)

I created a .pdf of everything I have done -everything done within these past few days on the different forums. I'll paste in what I've done here then I will go into detail about my system build and my BIOS settings.

DESKTOP-2AIQSE9 - Documentation

June 20th, 2019 - Programs used on a daily-basis begin to boot slowly, longest
recorded time was 5 minutes before Steam Bootstrapper loaded it’s network settings
and launched the client. Legacy games and programs that used to launch almost
instantaneously began to hang for up to 30 seconds before booting to main screen.
“Micro-stutters” began occurring frequently in modern games (Rainbow Six: Siege) and
more recently began to freeze (5-10 seconds) then crash to desktop without warning
and no indication as to what caused the crash.

July 22nd, 2019 - After a full Windows 10 wipe and reinstallation of most used programs
and games onto Samsung 860 EVO 500gb, received 4 consecutive BSOD after
rebooting to fix an input issue with a controller. Received QR code and Windows error
relating to: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT

August 6th, 2019 - Purchased new Crucial Ballistix Sport 3000 MHz DDR4 RAM to
replace PNY Anarchy RAM (both 16gb of 8GBx2).

Troubleshooting Experiments
● Reinstall video-card drivers
● Ensure XMP is enabled in UEFI BIOS settings and is running correct profile,
volts, timings, etc.
● Check temperatures (no change, stayed within normal bounds)
● Fresh install of Windows
● Moved major programs to SSD (no change, still crashes often, as well as “slow”)
● Run benchmarking programs (userbenchmark, Afterburner, Memtest86 +) **still
testing** - 8/7/19
● Observe memory usage in task manager while running multiple programs
(spotify, firefox + multiple tabs, cpu-intensive game)
● Fresh install of programs + games as well as verifying game files when possible

Right, as for your questions:

1.) https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zrBMfH <--- here's my pcpartpicker system build, my psu is a Corsair RM850x

2.) I installed the most recent BIOS build yesterday, I was previously running a 2016 version, upgraded to 2018 build (Asus Z170-a)

3.) I downloaded the chipset file from Asus yesterday as well as a few other updates for my MOBO, didn't install those just yet. Was unsure how to in regards to chipset, etc.

4.) see list above

5.) Another issue arises when I use my XMP profile for my new ram (bought less than a month ago), I get audio static/crackling as well as horrible interference when oc'ing my ram to the advertised speed of 3000mhz (currently at 2400 as it does not do this at this DRAM freq, did not used to do this a week ago which was previously @ 3000mhz). My BCLK is 4.0 on my i7 6700k and has stayed that way once I did a complete system wipe/reinstall.

6.) unsure, used to be bad as my old heatsink wasn't making contact at all with my cpu, mounted improperly. New heatsink makes contact and is around range of 89-95 degrees Fahrenheit based off this screenshot I have after installing new heatsink.

7.) That's the thing, I feel as though I'm suffering from bias when other games crash but the frequency at which they happen is not even close to as bad as it is in siege. Today I was told by a friend to use DDU + uninstall uplay (and siege by proxy) and do a fresh install. Did all of these things and the first match I loaded into I was fine, but when I got to the scoreboard after I finished the match my screen froze mid transition to the main menu and stayed that way until I force-shutdown my pc.

3ggy

Honorable
Nov 23, 2014

Edit to the post I made, I have an 850 EVO, not an 860 EVO SSD

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Well the DDU fresh install shouldn't make a difference if you reinstalled windows.
I would continue running memtest for at least 4 passes.
Is the issue still occurring after your BIOS updates etc?
if you encounter BSOD, then posting the minidump file to be shared here can really help.

3ggy

Honorable
Nov 23, 2014
Well the DDU fresh install shouldn't make a difference if you reinstalled windows.
if you encounter BSOD, then posting the minidump file to be shared here can really help.

I will run memtest for 4 passes and get back to you on that. And yes, after updating my BIOS I am still experiencing this problem.

3ggy

Honorable
Nov 23, 2014

Nada on memtest, everything runs fine. No BSOD either, also bought an M.2 drive and put Siege on it. First casual match I loaded into today I crashed after playing a single round.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
If you can, I'd be tempted to run on integrated graphics (which will be poor I know) and see if the crash still occurs. You say it tends to be much worse in R6S so I'm wondering if it potentially is software.

Does it only happen on internet based games? Are your wireless/LAN drivers up to date as necessary?

You also say you fresh installed windows and the problem stayed both before and after?

3ggy

Honorable
Nov 23, 2014
If you can, I'd be tempted to run on integrated graphics (which will be poor I know) and see if the crash still occurs. You say it tends to be much worse in R6S so I'm wondering if it potentially is software.

Does it only happen on internet based games? Are your wireless/LAN drivers up to date as necessary?

You also say you fresh installed windows and the problem stayed both before and after?

That's something worth trying, I'll see about trying that at some point either today or tomorrow. Likewise, I also think it's software based as I'm not the only person experiencing this on an intel based build. Yet, AMD isn't "safe" either and I've seen the crash reports on R6 Fix who have AMD CPU builds that are having the same issue as I am.

The scope of my problem just so happens to be in online games as those are the majority of the ones I play, but I haven't experienced crashing in other games that are singleplayer or have an offline component within the past 30 days. I am on a wired CAT5e connection in my home. As for LAN drivers, I would like to say yes but I have a feeling I could be using older ones. However, that doesn't necessarily correlate to my crashing problem because my latency ingame does not skyrocket to +1000 at random intervals before I crash.

Yes, I fresh installed windows on July 22nd and this problem was happening before and after I did the fresh install.