Question how to disable dedicated gpu?

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
hi guys

i am trying to use my onboard graphics, everything works but only when the dedicated gpu is in the pc, everytime i take the gpu out, there is no power goign to motherboard. as soon as i plug the gpu back in then it boots up fine.

any help please?

my set up

Mainboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme 4
Processor: Intel i5 4570S 2.90GHz
Memory: Kingston Hyper Beast 16GB PC3-12800
GPU 1: nVidia GeForce GTX 480
Power: Corsair CX600 Modular
Case: phanteks enphoo pro
Hard Disk: Seagate 1TB
ssd: 256gb
hard disk: 2tb

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
If you cannot flash the BIOS then it sounds like a more serious issue with the Motherboard.

When you say "instant flash" is not working, you mean the flash utility you load from the BIOS screen?

It should at least let you open up "Instant Flash", then select "Flash from USB" and you should be able to load a new BIOS from a USB stick at that point.

If that is not working then you need a replacement motherboard. Do not get another ASRock.

Reactions: froggy8

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
If you cannot flash the BIOS then it sounds like a more serious issue with the Motherboard.

When you say "instant flash" is not working, you mean the flash utility you load from the BIOS screen?

It should at least let you open up "Instant Flash", then select "Flash from USB" and you should be able to load a new BIOS from a USB stick at that point.

If that is not working then you need a replacement motherboard. Do not get another ASRock.
i will give it another go, i will try instant flash again

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
ok, the dedicated gpu is still in the slot but i have unplugged it. it seems to work with just the integrated graphics. im just worried if i take the gpu out from the slot then it wont turn on again.

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
ok, another update.

i am thinking maybe the motherboard is warped so when i try taking the gpu out, the weight of the gpu is lifted so making the motherboard bend slightly? anyone heard of that?

it is now working without the gpu inside my pc, everything is working through the integrated graphic. so far its working.

this has been very strange.

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
bit of an update, it started working on its own without me doing anything else apart from what i mentioned.

but i just tried switching it on this morning and it did the whole part power going to motherboard again, while i was looking around the motherboard, i noticed there was one screw missing to the pc case that the motherboard goes on so i pressed on that part and tried to switch it on and guess what? it switched on, does that screw really make a difference?