How to disable network on pavilion 8575c

Jim

Hi
I replaced the hard drive on a 8575. Since it wasn't a HP modified
drive, the recovery disc doesn't work with it.
I installed Win 2000 since I consider 98 sp2 to be trash..
I have not been able to get any of the drivers that I found work with
my cable modem.
I have another NIC card with win 2000 drivers that I tried. The
machine still saw the original.
Is there a jumper that I can set to disable the on board Lan device.

According to HP's web site, the 8675c has 4 PCI slots, two of which are open in
the system as shipped from the assembly facility. (I can't call it a factory
where they are assembled.) The system has a PCI modem card so the other card
must be the network card.

1. Remove the network card. This disables it. For sure.
2. Inspect the network card. See what the network chip is. Probably it is a
Realtek Ethernet chip, a low-cost high-volume supplier favored by HP. Write
down the markings which identify the chip. The chip model is RTLnnnn, where
nnnn is a four-digit chip identifier.
3. Go to the Realtek web site and download the drivers for your chip.
4. Install the realtek drivers, if you want. Put the Realtek card back in the
system first.
5. Or install your other network card and drivers.

If the network card does not have a Realtek chip or if the motherboard has
on-board Ethernet, repost with more info. You can also find an on-board
Ethernet chip and identify it similar to the above... Ben Myers