How to Disable UAC via Registry while Keeping Metro Apps

Shaina11

Honorable
Apr 23, 2014
So first off, the reason I want to disable UAC in Windows 8.x is simply because of the fact that it disables the Drag and Drop feature, but if I completely disable it via the registry, I have heard that it causes metro apps such as Weather to no longer work, so my question is this:

Is there anyway to completely disable UAC while still allowing the metro apps to work? Is there another registry setting I have to change somewhere else?

Please reply soon, thank you.

P.S. I won't be able to test any suggestions as I do not currently have Windows 8.x installed, nor do I have the VM setup yet. But any suggestions are welcome.

Shaina11

Honorable
Apr 23, 2014
Thank you for the response and the link, though I already knew what to do in the link, the problem is that the metro apps no longer work after modifying the registry setting, so I need to find a way to disable UAC while keeping the metro app functionality, but I do appreciate your help.

"But why do you want to change the UAC settings? Especially on an OC you don't have?"

First off, I already specified my reasoning, "the reason I want to disable UAC in Windows 8.x is simply because of the fact that it disables the Drag and Drop feature"

Second, I do have the OS, and I have used it, I just don't have it installed anymore, in fact, the reason I went back to Windows 7 was mostly because of Drag and Drop being disabled, that and the fact that Windows 8.x takes its sweet loving time to shut down.

Third, I will be setting up a VM with Windows 8.x before too terribly long so I can test the suggestions then.

Once again, I appreciate your response, thank you.

Shaina11

Honorable
Apr 23, 2014
It disables Drag and Drop in a way that it does not let me drag files and drop them into programs, such as if I want to create an ISO and drop some files into the program, it won't let me do this because of UAC, but in Windows 7, it did.

USAFRet

Titan

I guess that would depend on what application you're using.
For instance, I use CDBurnerXP. Drag and drop files directly into the relevant box, and it will create an ISO
Drag and drop a selection of files onto the desktop icon for ImgBurn, it asks specifically what you want to do
Drag and drop an image file onto the desktop shortcut for XnView...it opens
Drag and drop an Excel file onto the desktop shortcut for Excel, it opens.

This is within Win 8.1, with no changes to the default UAC settings.

Shaina11

Honorable
Apr 23, 2014
I use UltraISO Premium, and the last time I tried 8.x, I don't remember which, drag and drop didn't work. Also, when trying to search for an image in Google Chrome, it wouldn't let me drag and drop the image into the upload image search box, which it did in Windows 7.

USAFRet

Titan

In Firefox and Google Chrome, drag and drop an image into the image search box specifically does work.
I rarely use Chrome, and had to try it just now. It works just like in my typical browser, FF.

Again, this is 8.1.

Shaina11

Honorable
Apr 23, 2014
Hmm, might have to try it again and see if it's any different, maybe they updated 8.1. At any rate, thank you for the help, I'll test it when I can, and if it works, I'll mark your answer as the best.