How to disable UEFI boot option.

May 1, 2018
Hey. I accidentally deleted the partion were the windows 7 was installed because i'm planning to upgrade it to W10 via media creation tool. Upon installing the OS, it says "windows can only be installed on GPT disks" or something like that. I tried searching for answers online, and they said you should disable your UEFI boot.

But my flash drive has this "UEFI: NameOfFlashDrive"

I also read that I need to turn off my security boot. But i couldnt find where the security boot is.

Solution
if its anything like my PC, the motherboard swapped to booting the USB as MBR and just accepted the format the drive was in before.

1st time I clean installed win 10 I had that GPT error and suddenly found win 10 wouldn't install on a PC it had literally been on 4 minutes before. I restarted PC and deleted all the partitions and messed around a bit before clicking next. If I had known what I do now, I would have just deleted them all and clicked next the 1st time, instead my hdd is formatted as MBR instead of GPT. It really makes no difference unless your boot drive is bigger than 2tb

All versions of windows until win 8 used MBR drive format. MBR stands for Master Boot Record. It is perfectly fine if your hdd is below 2.2tb in size...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Another answer is to simply delete all the partitions on the hdd and click next, as win 10 will recreate the partitions it needs and continue install. No need to swap away from GPT unless you want to dual boot win 7 as well?

secure boot and changing boot method are both in the UEFI bios settings, if you want to stay on MBR instead of GPT, I will need to know motherboard model so I can find the right options for you. Since you had win 7 on it already, its likely secure boot is off now anyway.

May 1, 2018

I dont know what i did on the BIOS. I disabled something before booting it again. Then luckily, the installation got through. Thanks for the reply by the way.

Colif

Win 11 Master
if its anything like my PC, the motherboard swapped to booting the USB as MBR and just accepted the format the drive was in before.

1st time I clean installed win 10 I had that GPT error and suddenly found win 10 wouldn't install on a PC it had literally been on 4 minutes before. I restarted PC and deleted all the partitions and messed around a bit before clicking next. If I had known what I do now, I would have just deleted them all and clicked next the 1st time, instead my hdd is formatted as MBR instead of GPT. It really makes no difference unless your boot drive is bigger than 2tb

All versions of windows until win 8 used MBR drive format. MBR stands for Master Boot Record. It is perfectly fine if your hdd is below 2.2tb in size and you don't need lots of partitions.
Win 7 64bit can use GPT but not 32bit.

Win 8 & 10 use GPT. GPT stands for GUID (Global Unique ID - essentially every gpt drive on earth has a different number) Partition Table. GPT designed to fix the restrictions of MBR. Max size of a GPT drive is 18.8 million TB and a GPT drive can have 128 partitions on it.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS