News How to Disable Windows Web Search and Speed Up Your PC

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Newb888

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2006
I'd really appreciate a way to completely block Windows from the net, and still use FireFox & Chrome.

I've been using Windows7 like this. I manually updated it to a point where it'll run the programs I need, and then permanently disabled Windows updates, firewall, tasks ... etc. I use a 3rd party firewall like Simplewall or Windows10firewallcontrol that clearly tells me when something is trying to access the net, and enable only those MS processes necessary for browsers, Skype, Teams, Minecraft ... etc. When Windows10 is actaully finalized, i.e. no more updates expected and I can use it like an offline box, then I might 'upgrade' to it.
Those days are gone. Good luck with your assumption about W10 after it's finalized. W12 is around the corner. You're better off to switch to Linux (dual boot) for your needs.

Newb888

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2006
This worked perfectly on Windows 11 Pro 22H2. Thanks. This speed boost will save power users a lot of time. Also this completely eliminates the 15 second or so slowdown I sometimes experience during a internet/router/wifi hiccups.
Sounds like a sophist bot. And no. It doesn't work in W12 Pro 22H2

Newb888

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2006
My point was that it doesn’t speed anything up and I don’t care that the system look stuff up from the web at all because sometimes that’s useful. I only use the windows search when I want to search something online and I use Everything for local files

I learned my lesson hacking up the windows, registry many many years ago. In fact, when it was windows, 95 all the way up to current and I’m done messing with it no more tweaks it’s not worth it.
+1. I tried again tweaking W10 & 11 based on the assumption they're more stable and reliable than W95. But no. Many mess around with StartisBack and more and claim they experience no issues. I'm old enough to know people lie all the time especially in regards to tech.

Newb888

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2006
Advanced users already done this via gpedit.msc YEARS ago.

God bless professional version and may god help you for home users, it is really bothers me Microsoft turned Home editions into garbage no one asked for.
Only the foolish ones who must reinstall Windows from a clean image every few months. There's not much difference with the Pro version for the masses. I have no idea where you're coming from.

Status
Not open for further replies.