How to Disconnect from WIFI at a Certain Bar

discovererdylan

Prominent
Feb 8, 2018
I live in a pretty big house where one side is accessible to the wifi provided from my Xfinity Modem and the other is left hanging with low bars. I purchased the Netgear Powerline 1000 to fix that and now both all of my house has wifi. My question is when I connect to my main modem, is there a way for me to automatically disconnect from it from my IOS device and connect to the Powerline when the signal gets weak, or do I have to physically do that? Say my modem is A and the powerline is B, if A gets weak when I am in B's territory, can A disconnect automatically and connect to B when it realizes that B is stronger and vice versa? Thanks for any comments and help, I appreciate it.

Solution
There is no easy way. Your phone will try to maintain connection to an inferior signal. That is just a limitation of consumer WIIF hardware. The phone (or tablet) is in charge of picking the signal source and they don't make the best choices.

kanewolf

Titan
There is no easy way. Your phone will try to maintain connection to an inferior signal. That is just a limitation of consumer WIIF hardware. The phone (or tablet) is in charge of picking the signal source and they don't make the best choices.

Solution
I do not know what IOS calls it but there is a setting in most pc wifi nics called roaming aggressiveness or something similar. This set the signal level that it start looking for a new signal.

In general this is set to not disconnect until the signal is really bad. What can happen if you set it to high is it constantly jumps back and forth causing spikes of data loss or it constantly disconnects finds nothing better and reconnects....or maybe does not reconnect at all.

The best way to do this is for you to force the device when you know it is better. Most times just dropping or resetting the connection will cause it to reconnect to the proper one. It should not be a big deal, hopefully you are not moving around your house that much that you can not force it every now and then.