How to discover a server crash and reboot

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip (More info?)

Hello,

Here is my problem, perhaps common and simple ?

A tcp server A sends data (every seconds) to and reads data from (say every
hour) a tcp client B.
The A computer reboot. Now, the tcp server is waiting connections from
client B.

On the other side, the client B doesent know that A has crashed and
rebooted. It is waiting data comming from A and nothing appens.

Is-it a good idea to set the keep_alive system parameter to a very short
value (1 minute) ?

JPI

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip (More info?)

Using keep-alive is a bad idea. It newer worked right. Setting keep-alive
frequency low is even worse. If both programs are under your control,
implement protocol keep-alive. In this case, if client sends keep-alive
message and does not receive a response in say 30 second, it considers
connection lost.