Question how to discover which part broke?

anaturelover

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
hi
i have heard weird sound from my pc and now it does not want to start.
start one second that stops.

we i opened it i saw that the fan noctua i added below the GPU was disconnected. my bad.. maybe gpu overheated.
maybe it is the PSU.

Ihave a second psu but it does not have two 6 square wire, it only has one plus a 4 square. so i dont know if i can power my gpu with this psu.

111 THe question is can i run my pc(maybe it has an onboard gpu) without my my geforce gtx 260 ? if yes where de heck do i plug my monitor? cant find...

mobo is p6t v2 deluxe.
antec cp 850 is theold psu 2x 6 square
the other cpu 1 6 square and 1 4 square. is power man ip s350aq2-0 350w

any other test i can do to identify the probleme?
i have 2 hdd so they are not the prob.

Last edited by a moderator:
your motherboard is socket 1366, I think they don't have onboard graphic. Is there molex cable available ? You can use Molex to 6 pin cable converter.

8488044_26d1b475-6b80-46d1-b335-7da52ff31784_640_640.jpg

Reactions: joannapdmiranda

anaturelover

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
ok i found 4 pin molex to 5 pin ( 6 boxes but 1 is empty. will that do?
i pluged it and the psu runs but nothing appears on the screen.
also when i puch off botton from tower, the pc does not stop (it used to)

according that for the same setup with the 850 psu nothing was running , what can i conclude.
is it the gpu that is broken or the psu 850? or both or other? scratching my head hahaha

ok i found 4 pin molex to 5 pin ( 6 boxes but 1 is empty. will that do?
i pluged it and the psu runs but nothing appears on the screen.
also when i puch off botton from tower, the pc does not stop (it used to)
well it should work. do you have try to reseat the graphic card ? try to boot without HDD and another hardware (fan, dvd etc). To make sure your second psu is give the power needed .

is it the gpu that is broken or the psu 850? or both or other? scratching my head hahaha
hahaha, you can't make any conclusion before find the real issue. But after try to change the psu, powering your gpu and didn't make it, I assuming it is your gpu. do you have another graphic card ? or you can borrow it, just for display.

anaturelover

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
at the moment with the new psu the psu works the fan work the hdd turn but nothing appears on screen. if i only plug the momo and gpu what can i expectT? i dont understand the use ? what does it test?

How to i reset a my gpu plz never heard of it .

Also , since lots of years ago i did remove the stock gpu ventilator to place a noctua under it but directly connected to the psu, How can i see if the gpu works or not?

tx

at the moment with the new psu the psu works the fan work the hdd turn but nothing appears on screen. if i only plug the momo and gpu what can i expectT? i dont understand the use ? what does it test?
to make sure your psu is give the power needed to turn on the system. In some case, if the psu is too weak, your system won't booting because there is not enough power to supply all the hardware.

How to i reset a my gpu plz never heard of it .
well there is no reset gpu like you reset your motherboard. you only do it by software, and that's only reset the "sofware setting", not the gpu itself.

Also , since lots of years ago i did remove the stock gpu ventilator to place a noctua under it but directly connected to the psu, How can i see if the gpu works or not?
that why you need another graphic card, to make sure. In the case you don't have onboard graphics.

so if i get you well , if i get another gpu and it works it means my old gpu is broken? or maybe it is worth to try a reset? how to i reset it ?

tx
Yes. Broken graphic card is not worth it to be repaired. It will cost you, or you have to unsolder a few things, replace them with new parts and someday it will broken again. Before buy a new graphic card, tes your system using another gpu.

anaturelover

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
hi i did test with another gpu that i know works and it did solve the prob.
i got a secont power supply manpower that is old but i pluged it. the fans of everything started but nothing appeared on screen.
i tried to take all the memory stick out and the mobo did not make sound , i wonder if it means something,

since i also tested with 2 independant hdd , it seems that the mobo could be hte prob.
also i tried last winter installing linux and the bios did nt behave the same after. so maybe it is the bios of the mobo or physically de mobo.

Is there a way to test, or reset or do something to test if the BIO is at fault #could be restored ?
my mabo is p6t deluxe v2
tx

hi i did test with another gpu that i know works and it did solve the prob.
i got a secont power supply manpower that is old but i pluged it. the fans of everything started but nothing appeared on screen.
i tried to take all the memory stick out and the mobo did not make sound , i wonder if it means something,

since i also tested with 2 independant hdd , it seems that the mobo could be hte prob.
also i tried last winter installing linux and the bios did nt behave the same after. so maybe it is the bios of the mobo or physically de mobo.

Is there a way to test, or reset or do something to test if the BIO is at fault #could be restored ?
my mabo is p6t deluxe v2
tx

You are testing things with cheap low quality power supplies, it is as likely a power supply issue as a motherboard issue, or the bad power supplies are damaging the rest of the parts. Get a normal quality power supply and see if system works. Only then can you go on to checking other parts. Even the cheaper Corsair and EVGA units are better than those power man junk ones.

anaturelover

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
Well the antec Antec CP-850 850W Cpx Dual Pcb Power Supply Modular ATX12V V2.3 80PLUS Active PFC SLI 120MM Fan
is a quality psu i think.
i did cmos test with mobo and it does not react so mobo is dead, que remaining question is is it the psu that damaged it?
how to test if a psu is still fine or damaged?
if the psu is damage and i plug it with a new mobo , will it break the mobo?
how can a psu damage parts?
the antec spec says Industrial grade protection: OVP (Over Voltage Protection), SCP (Short Circuit Protection), and OCP (Over Current Protection)
does that prevent any damage to other components? source
https://thinkcomputers.org/antec-cp-850-850w-power-supply-review/

Well the antec Antec CP-850 850W Cpx Dual Pcb Power Supply Modular ATX12V V2.3 80PLUS Active PFC SLI 120MM Fan
is a quality psu i think.
i did cmos test with mobo and it does not react so mobo is dead, que remaining question is is it the psu that damaged it?
how to test if a psu is still fine or damaged?
if the psu is damage and i plug it with a new mobo , will it break the mobo?
how can a psu damage parts?
the antec spec says Industrial grade protection: OVP (Over Voltage Protection), SCP (Short Circuit Protection), and OCP (Over Current Protection)
does that prevent any damage to other components? source
https://thinkcomputers.org/antec-cp-850-850w-power-supply-review/

The Antec is pretty good, but one of your posts said this "i got a secont power supply manpower " so I though the second power supply was that same power man brand.

A PSU supplies power to all the parts, so it can damage all those parts it runs power to. It's not guaranteed to of course, but there is a higher chance that it can with cheap or bad power supplies.