Question How to do a clean install of Windows 10

g725s

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
I would like to install an SSD in a Dell PC that originally had Windows 8 but was upgraded via the free Windows 10.

How can I install the SSD and do a clean install of Windows 10?

I looked in Control Panel > System and see a Product ID.

Can I download Windows 10 somewhere and just use that Product ID during the install?

If so, Anyone know of a Website that shows in detail a good way to do a clean install?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

You can download the Windows 10 ISO from there directly and legally from Microsoft. This also can create a bootable USB flash to use to install Windows 10 with. I suggest that method as it is a much faster install.

Now depending on your exact PC you would be able to get a boot menu by pressing F12 after powering it on. From this menu you would want to select the USB drive (have it plugged in of course when powering on). If your system supports it I suggest booting in UEFI mode. If not just select the bootable flash.

That is a pretty decent guide on how to. Don't forget you will also need to do drivers. For that I recommend using Dells utility called Command Update:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=4374j

That's 3.0 which is for 10 only and so far I have had decent results at my work using it to get the drivers setup for clean Windows installs.

If you have an aftermarket GPU then you will want to download and install the latest driver from that manufacture (for example AMD or nVidia)

Reactions: fnactic_shooter

g725s

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
Thank you for your detailed reply. I did use a USB drive to upgrade originally. I will do as you posted and read up at the links you have here.

I went to Dell website yesterday and used their online diagnostics utility. I updated the drivers and most updated BIOS they suggested.

Will I need the product ID that I can find in Control Panel > System at any point?

Latest posts