How To Do A Clean Installation Of Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rock_n_Rolla

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
Good article, this will pretty much answer a lot of Google and Bing searches on how to properly do a clean Win 10 installation with a more comprehensive instruction.

IN ADDITION:
A good tip to follow after a clean Win 10 installation specially those who are into high end gaming and content creation and have a fast internet connection, right away when the installation is done do a thorough Win update and after all the Win updates are installed, second thing to do is install the latest direct X version or any latest direct x version included in the latest games u have, then install the latest GPU driver, then restart, after this, install all the hardware drivers you're using then, lastly the applications and games ure currently using or playing.
Win 10 and Win 7(needless to say) performs much faster and runs more stable when installed this way.

hgchuong

Prominent
Oct 19, 2017
Kudos on the tutorials! It's stupid that there should even be a need for something like this, but sadly it is a price that needs to be paid if you/we want to play with all the latest and greatest toys...

trevor_dennis

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012
The last time I did a clean reinstall, I have to say I was very impressed at how easy MS have made it, with the single exception of deleting and re-creating a partition on the drive. In fact ISTR being nervous about proceeding around that stage on previous installs. Someone mentioned needing to clean up all the baggage left behind, and that is another area that could be made clearer. It wouldn't hurt to have a window at the end that asks if you'd like to remove 25Gb of installation files from your barely large enough SSD boot drive.

Rock_n_Rolla

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
@ DARKBREEZE,

For a more hassle free or should i say "For a more faster and SAFER Windows 10 experience" you really should do an article with relevance to this one on how to properly do a crap clean-up after a fresh Win 10 installation and only retain apps, leave necessary windows services and disbale others which only consumes processor, ram and battery resources and disbale the whole auto update service (after a through update) which It self is a resource monger and malicious service that SERVES AS ONE OF WINDOWS EFFECTIVE tracking and monitoring tool ASIDE from other windows services running in a users system.

And also add the importance of not using and disabling own Mircosoft's proprietary built-in firewall and anti virus app and much better off using other third party anti virus and firewall apps (EXCEPT KASPERSKY).

Also, add in the article the ports and the IP addresses and other network protocols that Microsoft uses for Win 10 in order for them to block it using 3rd partty firewall so microsoft wont be able to track their computer use and and online behavior and the apps currently installed in their system and the apps they frequently using.

ddrock

Reputable
Dec 23, 2017
After a clean install of Windows, paying careful attention to have the latest stable drivers installed and working, I would recommend activating Windows and then immediately creating a disk image. The disk image affords the ability to recover a barebones, clean, and activated installation of Windows within just a few minutes (less than 5 minutes with a good SSD) should anything go wrong. You can choose to install additional software and configure Windows just the way you like prior to image creation, but at the expense of a larger image file. Finally, If you want to go the extra mile, you can even opt to use sysprep prior to creating the disk image... though I do not usually find this step necessary for home installations.

You might argue that "Reset this PC" will accomplish something very similar; however, "Reset this PC" has been known to fail under certain conditions. If you've ever had your registry corrupted by a bad update and tried to "Reset this PC" in vain, you know exactly what I mean. Also, if your system drive fails or has bad sectors, "Reset this PC" will fail. I just don't find this option reliable and it is also much slower than restoring a disk image.

You can perform the disk imaging with the software of your choice (e.g. Acronis True Image, Redo Backup and Recovery, or Clonezilla) or using the built in Windows 7 Backup and Restore tool (located at Settings > Backup > Go to Backup and Restore Windows 7). All these apps make disk imaging and recovery fast and relative painless.

Did that. Long time ago.

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2825881/cleanup-windows-upgrade-clean-install.html

I agree that it's true there are a good many things that we know by rote SHOULD be done after doing a clean install, of ANY operating system, but those are all ancillary procedures that are not, by definition, an actual part of the clean install which is why they are not included in this tutorial. There are other tutorials out there covering post installation recommendations, some of which can be found here on Tom's hardware, some that are elsewhere and still yet more that I might yet write. That is currently up in the air. Thanks for reading though.

Zaporro

Honorable
Jan 23, 2014
How is this showing on Tom's home page as a "News"? This is not a news, its pretty much common sense guide where this or 1000 similar guides show up on 1st google search, given someone can be bothered enough to make a 1 simple google search.

If i wanted to see guides i would go to Tom's guide specifically.

USAFRet

Titan

That is for a clean isntall.
To migrate from an old drive to a new drive, here:

Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
-----------------------------
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe as necessary.
Delete the original boot partitions, here:
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/4f1b84ac-b193-40e3-943a-f45d52e23685/cant-delete-extra-healthy-recovery-partitions-and-healthy-efi-system-partition?forum=w8itproinstall
-----------------------------

(and you can't migrate 'just the OS')

Then I suggest you either go there, or complain to directly to the TH editorial staff. I did not ask for, nor agree to, have my tutorial posted here as an article. And that's all I will say on that subject. I will say though, in regard to your comment, if it was something that did not interest you then why did you click on it at all? If you want "news" only, I'd suggest you go to CNN or USA Today, and click on "Tech". Otherwise, you can accept the fact that our front page often offers news in addition to opinion articles, reviews, guides and tutorials, component features and even links to current questions posed on the forums.

That's unlikely to change so maybe just stop being a complainer and move on to something that does interest you the next time you see something that doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.