How to do a fresh Win7 install on SSD

fr16th

Commendable
Jul 17, 2016
It's been years since I built a PC or installed Windows so I want to make sure I get this right.

I'm currently running 64-bit Windows 7 home premium on a HDD. I want to do a fresh Windows 7 install on a SSD and use the HDD for storage. I have the OEM Windows 7 disc.

What are the steps here?

As far as I can tell I just need to plug in my SSD, unplug my current boot drive, set Chip Sata type to AHCI in BIOS, boot from the Window 7 install disc and install to the SSD. Anything I'm missing?

mojorisin23

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
I asked a similar question a little bit ago... when you (and i just did as well) do that, you will have a fresh win7. however, the games and programs (chrome, adobe, vlc player.... what have you) will not work even though its on the old HDD that is still connected (and shows up as a slave drive)?

how do you rectify this? download all these programs again?

Yes, you will need to reinstall the programs and games. As you stated they will not work off the old hard drive and the reason is, in this case, is that you haven't booted into the OS of the old drive. There is nothing in the new install of Windows 7 that links to any of the programs you mentioned.

Because some work more or less independently and others have installers that install files into the Windows directory without which they will not work.

mojorisin23

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012

Ahh... i see. that helps

fr16th

Commendable
Jul 17, 2016
Follow-up question: if goes wrong with the fresh Win7 install to the new SSD, can I just plug my HDD that's already running Win7 back in as if nothing ever happened, or will the new install deactivate the old one?

mojorisin23

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012

when youre installing the OS on the new SSD, you have to unplug the old HDD. So it will be there. If someothing goes wrong, you can unplug the SSD and plug in the old HDD and it will function as before.

TRENDING THREADS